Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

No. Because it means that atleast one part of the eco-system is still strong which would provide a building block to strengthen others.

If you get rid of the doggies I highly doubt a more desirable specie would take their place. So instead of catching doggies you would be catching nothing.

The current fish population is currently being limited due to overfishing not due to lack of food.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I highly suspect that large sharks would grealy enjoy feasting on the doggies, and the baby doggies would provide food for smaller fish.

St_Paul
    Participant

I’m off for an overnight trip tomorrow so will try the doggie as bait for sharks and let you know how I get on.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish in the kaiapoi just b4 got a eel or about 10kg gave me a fright when i felt the weight on the line alothoug i intended on catching eels for a lil bit of fun

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish today in the kaiapoi got about 50 mullet withthe biggest being 30cm also got a nice kaiwhai of about 2kg but released it cause i didnt want it

St_Paul
    Participant

Went for a bit of a night fish at Dorie on Thursday night, pig of a sea big pounding waves and a viscious undertow. 2 sizeable doggies and a hookup with something fairly hefty that managed to chew through 60lb steel trace after being on the line for about 1/2 an hour.
    The undertow was so strong it was flattening 60lb mono shock leader lost a few sinkers and rigs.
    Will definitely have another crack down there maybe after a couple of nor west days when the seas a bit flatter.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Had a few hours at Birdlings yesterday, one doggie, seems to be heaps of crabs.

Stupidly windy!

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve been to Birdlings Flat a number of times in the last 5 months or so, the two trips in the first month produced good results, but it’s been

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhhhhh the westport breakwater isnt too bad not sure about the 3m swells of the wharf in the port of westport

tracknz
    Participant

Hi all. Im looking to head down the pier about 10pm saturday night if the weather is ok with a bit of crab and see if any Rig are coming in. Be good to meet up with you local guys if any are keen for a late night fish. High tide is about 1am Sunday.

Mal
    Participant

Had my 1st surfcasting trip for the new season last Sunday (Waianakarua), managed to christen my new surfcaster with about 5 dogfish & one small greyboy! might be a bit early yet but a nice way to spend an evening all the same. I am heading to the Whataroa (south of Hokitika) later this month, anyone here fished the surf over there?, would it be possible to catch a snapper??

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhhh it may be possible to catch snapper although i think it may still be far to cold for them down that far

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished in

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats the reason I never really fished anywhere over winter apart from a couple trips down to Timaru and one trip up to the Pier.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.