Latest Catches

Viewing 11 posts - 1,201 through 1,211 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t think Nape Nape is as bad as Birdlings, but it doesn’t look like it would be that safe, maybe on a very gentle day for a strong swimmer it could be ok, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
    On gentle days I’ve seen a guy there with a kayak (who broke his rod) and a pair of scuba divers (who helped me after my car got stuck in the shingle there), but haven’t seen any swimmers in about 8-10 visits.

yellowfin
    Participant

i wouldnt think beaches like birdlings and nape nape would require you to swim a big bait out anyways, maybe somewhere like spencerville would

yellowfin
    Participant

On calm days it’s easy enough to send out livebaits.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to Timaru this evening to try get some bait for the summer. Got a good lot of Yellow Eyed Mullet considering it was getting late by the time I got there. Loads of small red cod around, and the odd big one.

yellowfin
    Participant

how many is alot? did u catch the cod too?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished a beach between Seaview and the Saltworks…. Thats enough clues. Got there at 4:30pm, there was low cloud but the sea was calm. Used three rods, two with cooked prawn and a third using garfish for bait. Hooks were 0/4 circles. Tide was high and I fished the outgoing tide.

Caught a handful of Red Cod on the garfish, then a constant stream of tiny to small school sharks. After dark, I landed a large dogfish. It was very foggy down there, had trouble seeing more then 200m down the beach. The prawn baits only had two nibbles one got bent then the other… then nothing. After 8pm it started to rain so I packed up and was in the car by 9pm.

So still no rig.

Summary
    Date: 24-october
    Time: 4:30pm-9pm
    Tide: High to low (fished outgoing)
    Weather: Foggy with showers. No wind, calm sea.
    Fish caught: Red Cod, Tope, Dogfish.
    Bait: Half garfish on 4/0 circle

yellowfin
    Participant

[quote:37knfq7u]how many is alot? did u catch the cod too?

Yes I caught several cod, mostly small, but I got a biggish one when I first got there.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

I would’ve thought non cooked prawns would work better as well, but I haven’t tried any form of prawn for bait yet.

Also, is anyone going out today? Forecast still says cold sotherlies and rain, but it’s really calm here right now with hardly any wind, and the rain radar on the metservice sites only shows rain up kaikoura way and further north.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Use booth cook and uncooked.

Cook stays on the hook slightly better and has more colour. I have not notice a difference between raw and cook with regards to number of fish caught.

yellowfin
    Participant

cmuch better ive found. stays on better has more colour and catches more fish

Viewing 11 posts - 1,201 through 1,211 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.