Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a fish today at nape nape with aaron (jones jr) and steve (shark tale) beautiful day beautiful conditons Crap fishing. aaron got a ky and that was it a few small bite but crap fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea was a great day coditions wise, fishing was pretty crapy. Below is the nice little KY Aaron got. I would think that in summer down toward the cliff that during the evening moki would be present. Definitly will be giving that a crack at some stage.

Nice fish Giller!! When do the 7gillers start to move down to canterbury?? from November? Any tips to catch them, im always trying to soak in all the information I can get my hands on!! 8)

Giller
    Participant

I have been back down to rangitata 3 times over last 3 weeks,tried hard to get onto a giller but none seem to be around just yet.
    my way of getting onto one is i use 20lb main line,40lb shock leader, and a 400lb mono trace with size 10 or 12 hooks.and have always have excellent results when they around to use fresh mullet.
    last one i got was the one in the pic was around the 400lb mark and took 45 min ish to land.but they will eat practically anything tho.even had one on brieftly on a herring rod that had small piece of beef on to get some fresh bait.only came back yesterday after spending 3 days there and nothing about but 1 dogfish, 1 grey boy and couple huge crabs.Not even a hit from a rig .

yellowfin
    Participant

If you chopped up one of those bigger sevengills and weighed it, you’d probably find it’s lighter than you think. I got one that was 2.2m long and reasonably fat looking, and it was only 51kg. I’m not sure if killing them is a bad thing or not.. they’re at the top of the food chain with us, I guess they probably reduce the fish numbers, but if they eat the odd baby seal and plenty of dogfish then that’s not so bad.
    Went to Pines beach today, nothing around, not even crabs. I’m disappointed that nobody has caught a rig yet.. they’re turning up later than last year.

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

haha yea tru… i do intend on going back though on an evening tide and then try my lucky again. maybe in another month or so

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The gillers iv managed to get over the last few years have been a chance catch as iv never targeted them and most are on small pieces of squid with 4/0 to 5/0 hooks. Most times though it has either been real stormy or choppped up seas that iv caught them in.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah it seems they favour the rougher conditions in the shallows.Overcast days with a chopped up sea produced prob all bar 1 or 2 that I have caught.And I remember the day that produced the most was just ater a good southerlie blew over.It was cloudy,sea was dirty as and it was big…I wouldnt of fished in those conditions at all had I not drove down the coast for an hour.If I make the decision to drive for miles only to be greeted with less than desirable fishing conditions,Ill still wet a bait to make me feel better :lol:

ciliaris
    Participant

Giller.

So you’ve never been bitten off on 400lb trace? No one here use wire trace for em? Thats good because I hate using wire trace.

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

Giller
    Participant

Hi ciliaris,
    No never had one chomp thru my 400lb mono.YET .i got some of the line off trade me awhile ago and make my own traces up,have tried the wire trace but once it has had a giller on it they seem to develop a good memory and gets all bendy in it .found the mono was easier and more easier to cast out.here is a link to the guy i got some line and crimps and lumo hosing off .he does different lengths or line if you require less or more .http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 131959.htm

the pic of the seven giller i got back in march,had a good go at the trace after being hooked up to for 45 min and then coming in thru the breakers,was cast out again and hooked up and landed another shark so they can hold up to the gillers pretty well.
    Hope that helps

Neil

ciliaris
    Participant

Cheers man. Thanks heaps. Helps a lot! Going to biff those metal traces anyway!

HookLineSinker
    Participant

ciliaris

yellowfin
    Participant

Shark_Tale

Sevengillz
    Participant

ciliaris

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.