Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

[quote:4iyk7c91]What’s the general rule of thumb for deciding whether or not a trout is worthwhile eating – Is it just the ones in rivers near cities that taste like mud or are all trout other than searuns not that nice?
    Usually I keep very few fish too, nothing under 3 pounds and I try to keep only fish that are relatively fat compared to their length as this indicates a high condition factor.
    The type of water the fish comes from, diet prior to capture and time of year can all have a huge influence on the taste of the trout. Flesh colour can vary from white to rosey pinl or red.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a fish at the Pier today. There were a few good size kahawai caught and skate. All I got for the whole days fishing was a Yellow Eyed Mullet. I will be going up again next Saturday since it will be the last day before the restrction comes into place on Sunday 30 .

gunnercoops
    Participant

two of us went down to the Waimak mouth on Sat night, a 4LB sea run trout took a chunck of squid! Only other thing we caught was an eel.

Is this the time that sea runs come in or are they around all year?

yellowfin
    Participant

The searuns start to show up from about now onwards. The main run is usually October/November but some years they can be late arriving!

I once caught a 10 lb salmon in the Kaiapoi River that tasted so

St_Paul
    Participant

Searuns are about at the mouth of the rakaia and waimak at the moment.

have seen a couple of beauties that mates have caught

gunnercoops
    Participant

what did they catch them on? I suspect that a lump of squid was just plain lucky..or is it the new superbait for searuns!!:D

St_Paul
    Participant

Small grey Ghosts and rakaia ghosts.

The squid would also be illegal.

gunnercoops
    Participant

yes it would be illegal at the moment to target them with bait….. I wish the trout would read the regs!

We were after some red cod, we had been told that there were always cod in the Waimak mouth but this was our 3rd futile attempt to catch some…any ideas on where and when we should be fishing for them?

I am actually a trout angler trying his hand at sea fishing for the first time this year…unsuccesfully I have to add!

St_Paul
    Participant

Ha Ha!:D yup thats always the way! I often spy trout where you wouldn’t expect to see them when i don’t have a rod!!

Amberly and Leithfield beaches can yield some good cod at night on a low tide. Dusk into evening in winter is often the best fishing times for red cod.
    Unfortunately there aren’t as many as there used to be. Trawlers have whacked back the stocks drastically.

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhhhh about 1am middle of winter with an imcomming tide

St_Paul
    Participant

On the plus side I noticed on the news last night that the red cod quota has been slashed. hopefully we’ll see more about.

gunnercoops
    Participant

perhaps they should raise the dogfish quota.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I feel the dogfish quota is good at the moment. The population still seems to be strong.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea so raise it to get rid of the bastards

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.