Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Giller
    Participant

always loved it down at the rangi,great campground,great fishing and also alot of great company always around.
    heading down in 2 weeks to finish some work onthe caravan and then try to see if some ring have come in down there yet.the whitebait has been slow down there up till now as ppl only getting half a cup from a days sweeping.so kinda poor on the whitebait front so far .

when the rig are in close down there you can pull in many in such a short time.
    2 yrs ago me and bro inlaw pulled in 18 between the 2 of us and put the smaller ones back to live another day.
    some were comin in over the 10-14lb mark,nice and big fish but we did do a long session trying to get them since they buggered off for a few hours then returned back around 2:30am.

so if your keen then just give me a yell and we can arrange something .

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I might start heading out for some surfcasting around October and see if there’s any sevengillers around. Got a cast net off trademe for catching bait, so will probably go down to the Timaru Wharf sometime if there’s enough Mullet around, just gotta practive throwing the net properly. I remember being on the Timaru wharf some nights and shining the torch down on the water, and it was just thick with Yellow Eyed Mullet swimming past, but not taking any baits.

PierMaster
    Participant

hmm might have to head dwn to brighton for a rig hunt on sunday night :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Giller

Giller
    Participant

same here,bought one and used it yesterday for first time,ended up with 28 large sized crabs.was high tide when went, but just got back from there againtoday and was at low tide. and only about 10 little ones so put most of them back .

so i figure its best for crabs down there at high tide .

they sure do work well and bit expensive for $45 but hey is way chepaer than buying crabs for bait at $20 a kg.least can catch as many as like over the years and has paid for itself .

yellowfin
    Participant

I made a Crab Catcher myself, but haven’t used it yet, will probably make a better one sometime soon.

Fished at the Pier Saturday/Sunday, good amount of mullet around, one big Kahawai caught by another guy, loads of small school sharks and the odd dogfish. Went to Birdlings Flat on the way back from the Pier this afternoon, caught one school shark and that was it.

Participant

yes it seems abit of a joke paying $45 for crab pot considering theres not much to them i refuse to pay that kinda of money for basically a bait catcher, i will let you in on how i catch my paddle crabs i go down to shag rock (sumner) at night on a incoming tide to catch mine i stake my baits in the shallows in 4 or 5 places then i wait for about 10mins then i wade out to the areas of staked bait with tourch and small butterfly net and bascially just scoop them up some nights you can clean up while other nights theres jack about but hey thats fishing,

yellowfin
    Participant

The one I just made is out of a fan cover, just a smaller version of one I saw in the weekend at the Pier. Should work, and it’s better than paying $45 for something that is home made anyway.

PierMaster
    Participant

Went to Kais on Monday afternoon got 4 small skate and a few herring lots of dogfish, not much goin on

<a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>

St_Paul
    Participant

got 3 Kahawai at the diversion on spinner today. Kept 1, was absolutely crammed full of krill!

Loads of birds working out past the bar.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The diversion has a ugly mouth at the moment, really needs a massive flood to destroy the deflector so it can return to more normal flows. Went down there for a look and a drag of the whitebait net at low tide. Not much was happening.

The council or some idiot dug a massive trench and heaped a pile of stones making it impossible to drive down the sand road to the wairau bar from the diversion south bank car park now :roll: :evil:

gunnercoops
    Participant

Went to the pier this afternoon to try my crab catcher out, was pretty low water and only managed 5. Saw a few 3lb + KY caught, school shark and doggie. Now i have the crabs they look pretty big for hooks….do you cut them in half of just use bits of them for rig?

Yakkaman
    Participant

I was up there this avo helped the asian guy in the red jacket bring in a kahawai, well i wound his line while he lifted the fish.

So maybe we talked your not a pom are you gunnercoops?

gunnercoops
    Participant

yeah that was me, saw you wind kahawai man’s line in. That was my first visit to the pier, will have a go again though.
    Off to Moki point or Black rock in the morning.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

gunnercoops

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.