Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

just back from Black rock…nice place to fish…just dogfish around tho, no mullet showed up even after berley. Banged a lure out for a while hoping for a KY, but nothing showing. Will try again later in summer. Thanks for the info re crabs n rig

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the Pier on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Got a couple mullet and lost a Kahawai on Friday, got some more mullet and two Kahawai on Saturday, first one threw the hook before I could get it up. Got quite a few small schoolies as well.

yellowfin
    Participant

Me and a couple of mates fished near Wainui this arvo, only a banded wrasse caught but man was the water clear! Were able to see about 6 metres straight down at the spot we were fishing. Saw a bit of life down there, but we dropped some burley and the fish buggered off. Saw a couple of cod take an interest, the usual wrasse species and what we think was a moki, which swam up within 2 metres of the surface as I was pulling my line in. Never seen it even half that clear!

Jones Jr.
    Participant

It was nice and clear out there grimace I must agree.

Went out fishing beyond / near Akaroa heads in my friends boat today, the water was so calm with little wind we decided to take his little boat. Used 10 litres of petrol for the whole trip which is great! Caught some sea pearch and my friend josh got a nice moki! Got a few blue cod to but they were all just a little too small so put them back, quite a few wrasse out there to and the odd doggy if we drifted onto a sandier bottom. Had a good day indeed. Tried to put a few pics up here but it won’t let me, will put them up tomorrow some other way.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to birdlings on friday.

Water was flat as and clear. But only caught dogfish..

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Here’s the pics from Akaroa.

My friend josh with his moki

Me with a few Sea Perch

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

In my 7 years of living in Akaroa I never caught a moki.. nice fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

lol it does look like josh is pulling the fingers! (in the first pic)

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Yeah it does, lol.

The Moki was caught out off the heads, so not within the harbour. I’m surprised we got it as he caught it around 11am which is full daylight. I did get one in Kaikoura around 5.30pm in the evening once, it was still quite light outside then so I guess it’s possible. If you launched your boat at dawn and got out to the heads early I don’t see why you could’nt catch more, prawn the magic bait once again. lol.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to Timaru today. Caught a few mullet at the wharf, and saw a massive school of them going past at one stage. Forgot to take the cast net probably could’ve got quite a few.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Moki are about during the day, I see them often while diving. They are much more common in the evenings, never dived at night but I suspect they are more common.

Fished in Moetapu bay, arrived at 5pm and fished until 8pm. Fished the incoming to high tide. Quite a few nibbles and strikes around dusk, but only caught a small Kahawai. After dark the nibbles stopped but a second kahawai got hooked on a popper fly around 7:30pm. Pleasant calm evening.

Nothing to suggest that Snapper were about.

PierMaster
    Participant

Went to kais on the 14th caught another 4 skate and my mate got 2
    heres some pics

Skate 1
    “>

Skate2
    “>

Skate 3
    “>

Skate 4
    “>

Yakkaman
    Participant

Jones Jr.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a surfcast at salty tonight, arrived feeling crooked around 4:30pm…. forgot bait for the crab pot so threw in a pile of KFC bones.

Casted out two rods with frozen crab bait. No bites all night. High tide was around 6:40pm which was around dark. Little wind and a bumpy sea. Pleasant conditions. Went home at 7pm, did not feel like staying much after dark.

No crabs in the pot, but the KFC bones did attract strange little black fish. I have decided to name them Kentucky fried fish from now on.

People from the pier caught a couple of Kahawai and a skate while I was there, also saw a couple of crabs holding onto baited hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

What does the Pier look like up there? Might have a trip up and down the South Island over the warmer months. Planning on a couple trips and will fish all along the coast invercargill – Blenheim, would split into two trips though. Also wanted to go over to the west coast at some stage, but will leave it till summer to decide.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.