Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Yakkaman
    Participant

nice rig there spring is just around the corner mullet back inshore caught a few good bait fish with come in handy for next weekend in Kaikoura.

Come on Pier Master see ya up there take a kayak out :lol:

Participant

Thanks, yep a good size rig will always give you a good tussle alrite and yes Crab for bait it was a sweet morning till the sun got up high and the crabs came through, there was heaps of them out there stripping the crab bait from my hooks, the sea although very nice to fish needed abit more roll on it to keep the crabs at bay

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the Pier on Saturday. Seems the mullet are coming back in bigger numbers now, got about 6 and lost a couple. Still no Kahawai, also seems the Red Cod have gone. Heaps of doggies and small School Sharks. I suppose if there’s rig at Birdlings they’ll be around the Pier soon as well. Went up to Conway Flat today, but there was a bit of a swell and the wind was a bit annoying. Didn’t end up catching anything but PierMaster got a couple dogfish. Was going to go to Kaikoura as well, but most likely wouldn’t have been worth it considering the massive winds at the moment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to see the summer fish appearing again :) . What places/methods do you find best for catching crabs around the canterbury area ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Easiest places are wharfs and just use a crab catcher. Plenty around off the Pier as well, but you’re only allowed to use disk size crab catchers not actual crab pots etc

rdeejay
    Participant

you’ve got a knack for catching those rig justfishing, i remember the last 2 you caught and posted the pics of.

Participant

yeh thanks rdeejay,i like to go out & just target the rig nothing else.Key is to have a healthy supple of paddle crab,this year i tryed my hand early & it paid of(if i do say so myself lol ) Rig are one of our better fighting fish caught of canterburys beachs

gunnercoops
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I think so, just not sure what the rules are exactly. I think there’s also a limit on the amount of crabs you can take, but none on the actual size of the crabs.

Edit: found this on the council website

[quote:3628pnog]Crab pots Crab fishing is only permitted with a light line, no crab pots are allowed. People may crab off the pier but only using “crab catchers”(small disc with hooks and light line), no pots or netting of any type is permitted. The fisheries rule of 50 does apply.

Giller
    Participant

i see that Niwa have closed access to the Cam-era wher eu could get views each hour of the pier for the surfconditions.
    they now have a log in page.
    double bugger i say as it saved alot of driving when conditions were no good you could juts check it online to see the surf.

oh well.

on the topic of the crab catchers,there is a guy called david selling them online on trademe at the moment , $45 for one pot.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 504180.htm

yellowfin
    Participant

http://www.niwa.co.nz/our-services/onli … ton-pier-b

Works fine for me, also they seem to have fixed both the Ashburton Mouth cameras as well.

Edit: Well that had fixed them, seems both the Ashburton cams stopped again on the 24th August. I find it to hard to tell what the conditions are actually like from the Ashburton cams anyway.

Giller
    Participant

Hey Zac,are u planning on coming down to rangitata over the xmas new year period this year ?
    Im the guy who was there that day you caught your giller down there the day before the fishing comp.
    was the guy who had the tribal tattoos on my forearm .
    if you are planning on coming down give me a yell as i have a caravan on permant stand down there and try to spend as much time there as possible .

would be great to chase the gillers and rig with company .

have a good day
    Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah will definitely be having a few nights down there over Summer, also looking at exploring some other places as well. You’re in Christchurch now, or were you always there? Thought you were in Timaru for some reason.

Giller
    Participant

no live and work in chch , but like to travel down there most firdays after work and come home on the sunday.usually get down there around 3-4 am as dont fin work till 2am. is great way to do it tho,as get there early and have couple hours sleep.then get up for a round of fishing bout 6-7ish.
    your welcome to come down and have few beers and chat at the caravan any time i down there.

if you like you can PM me and will send you my cell # so u can get hold of me .

cheers neil

yellowfin
    Participant

You’re keen going all that way from chch then, especially passing the Rakaia as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.