Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Awesome day, average fishing down at Conway today. Caught 6 skates, 1 Kahawai and 2 dogfish… To tired to go into details.

Should expand on this a bit.

Fished the reef at Claverley last night, Used Prawn, Crab and clam would bait. The only action was before dark and I caught a couple of Wrasse and small black reef fish. Went to bed at 10:15pm (no bites after dark), (After pitching my tent in sand last night I now understand why people use sand anchors instead of pegs).

Woke at 4:30am and it was dark, maybe just the faintest glow of dawn over the horizon. Fished the dawn but had no action until it was fairly light, caught a few wrasse but nothing exiting. No signs of Moki. Packed up fishing gear at 8am and headed to Conway for the comp.

Conditions were good for the comp, little wind with a gentle swell. It was overcasted to start with but it cleared later in the day (wished I had a hat + sunscreen now). Fished a range of baits (Pilchard, Squid, Clam, Prawn). Strangely all of the fish I caught were on the same rod, with the same rig and bait type. In the morning I caught 4 Skates, around mid day I got a good sized but skinny Kahawai. Which was followed by another Skate.

When the tide was about halfway out paddle crabs arrived in number and they were stripping my bait in minutes, during that time I did manage to land a giant paddle crab :). Fishing was slow, around 3pm the crabs departed and a few fish returned, caught a small dogfish, another skate and finally a dogfish.

South Canty Angler
    Participant

Fished St Andrews (opposite golf course) was there 3 hours And landed 1 grey boy, and 1 great sized carpet shark, guy north o me got elephant ish (was abiot jealou) decided that i would see what carpet shark is like on the table – actually i you cut the fillet into small bites, and make a light batter with tuscan season, lemon juice, water and flour, then cook in the pan, makes for excellent fish bites.

yellowfin
    Participant

South Canty Angler

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

We were a ways past the arials , thats all I can divulge without having to kill you lol …….

Could have caught heaps of rig , but I’m not that overly fussed on eating them , took 1 fish for the olds , and a 2nd one for me and the neighbour ..packed up 1 rod by about 8ish and left the other out with only paua , for the elephants …..it was untouched when we pulled out at about 11.30ish……not even the crabs had been at it , maybe a testament to the prolific ammounts of rig cruising the murky waters

I was actually a little miffed I hadnt taken my ultralite setup , normally if its calm I will help whoever Ive taken to catch a feed , while for sport Im fishing a tiny reel , flimsy trout rod with 2.6lb line …….

As the morning wore on , the water was slowly clearing , which might have been why the elephants were absent , and the small swell getting lower and lower ….If Id had more than 2 hrs sleep the night before Id have been more than a little tempted to return last night and have some serious fun …..

In the past Ive taken kahawai in the surf south side of the mac , school sharks , rig and elephants in the surf on the light gear ……it adds a little challange going that light
    Yet to break the 10/1 ratio though , which is my ultimate goal

rdeejay
    Participant

I am familiar with the area so no need to think you have to divulge your spot x :p

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi all
    I like to smoke my rig (lemonfish)…as her indoors makes a mean fishpie,
    the ele’s we freeze first kills any taste of amonia, I find it freeze’s well and seemingly taste better..battered/crumbed
    we target these species in pegasus bay and canterbury bight , looking forward to the season….and the rod bending action…mouth is watering already.

cheers seahunter :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from a few days fishing, fished the pier saturday, conway sunday and kaikoura today. Didn’t catch anything much at the pier so headed to conway saturday afternoon and stayed the night. Sunday turned out really nice and there was hardly any swell. Caught a couple dogfish, a couple skate, and a small seven giller. Only 3 forum members ended showing up at the comp so wasn’t the best but still a very good day. Winning fish was a bigger seven giller. I think PierMaster has some pics to post. Went to Kaikoura after the competition and slept on the beach overnight. Only ended up getting a conger and a big dogfish. PierMasters mate hooked up on a seven giller, nearly spooled him then surfaced and cut the line with it’s tail.

The seven gillers are definitely around now, 3 hooked in two days isn’t bad.

Small Seven giller, taken on rather big peice of dogfish

Conger and one of the biggest dogfish I’ve ever caught, both caught on 10/0 hooks and massive peices of bait

PierMaster
    Participant

Just to add to Zac’s post about Kaikoura got 2 skate and 12 kahawai +2 cod and some dogfish
    The Kahawai turned up in a huge schools at times and got them all on the lure. The water was black with them you could see them km’s away

<a href="“>
    <a href="“>

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive fished that beach a few times , at my spot X withen sight of where you guys were ….

Gurnard is what I chased , catching 2 the first time , and 3 on the other trip …….2.5 3.5 and 4.5 lb on that 2nd trip …..similar on the first

Both times was in Jan ……You guys caught any up there ? or down lol ……and what time of year are they there ? or are they year round ??

yellowfin
    Participant

Never caught one myself but I think they are mainly there over summer? I think people get them further south at nape nape as well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I caught a Gurnard from my Kayak once while fishing in South Bay. Can not remember the month but it was towards autumn or early winter. Someone else also caught one on the same trip. They are suckers for soft plastics.

Last year during the Surfcasting comp a kid managed to land one, the comp is in January.

They are much more common in the Sounds and Tasman bay.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The commericial guys seem to catch most in October/November, with more in summer then during the winter.

Covers a big area but should be of partial help.
    http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Page.aspx?pk=8&tk=41&ey=2010

Very few snapper are caught by commercial guys down there… Most seem to be between November and June.

fishforpot
    Participant

Just had word on the catch at bailies today , a local fishing club spent the day there ..

Sea was messy , a lot of patches of weed in the water ….

Small greyboys taken , no ele’s , 1 rig ….

Was thinking of heading that way tue or wed …. but with that news , and the tides as they are ….I just might leave it to end of next weekend …

gunnercoops
    Participant

had a drive down the spit from Baileys to where they let water out of Ellesmere, saw no KY, and all that folk were catching was doggies and a few schoolies. Alot of weed in places, quite rough and discoloured.

Viewing 15 posts - 841 through 855 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.