Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

went to the pier yesterday morning for incoming tide, crabs everywhere, a small schoolie was reward for our efforts. Saw two KY caught. Bloke was using a set up with about six hooks, and all manner of shiny beads and stuff strung between them, he also had a float above the hooks, which I suppose kept the bait from the crabs. Heaps of asian peeps with crab catchers which caused a bit of tension with a couple of folk, they did not seem to have any concept of personal space!
    Caught a few crabs myself…used one as bait…it was devoured by other crabs. Will not bother again during the day up there.

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished at the pier over the weekend. On Sunday got three kahawai(two big, one small), one big red cod, some mullet, and some small school sharks. Fished again today and only schoolies around so packed up.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the Pier this morning for the incoming tide. Caught two big kahawai and a barracouta(was over 1 meter). In total was about 9 kahawai caught by everyone and the day was perfect untill the southerly picked up this afternoon. The barracouta is the first one I know of this season and I was pretty surprised, thought it was a kahawai at first.

I wanted to get some Bait from Southern Bait but couldn’t find it, I was on the street and saw Southern Ice and something else Southern but wasn’t sure were it was exactly so didn’t bother looking around.

Also had my chilly bin and bucket searched by a MAF person when I was loading my stuff into my car. He just randomly came out of nowhere in the car park had a look and walked off out the entrance of the car park, didn’t go out to the pier or anything.

rdeejay
    Participant

You were at the right place zac, i live quite close. While it might Say Southern Ice it is the bait place as well.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll have to go back next weekend I guess, it’s right on the way to the Pier anyway. So it’s just at the place that has a sign saying “Southern Quality Assurance”?

rdeejay
    Participant

Well to be more precise it’s the place that says Southern Ice :p 15 Helanca Ave

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll call in again next weekend if I go up, hopefully will be some sales on for labour weekend at rebel sports etc

I’ve just salted one of the kahawai I got yesterday so will see what that turns out like for bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

4 carpet sharks and a small skate is what I caught in the grove arm last night. I fished between 5:30-9:15pm, high tide was around 9pm. Water was tannin stained, and the sea lice was about in force (never a good sign imo). Used pilchard and razor clams for bait, the razor clams got the most nibbles but the pilchard caught the bigger fish.

Was wet weather during the day back on the plains, but the rain has cleared by the time I left for fishing. Few signs of rain in the sounds itself, little wind once in the QC.

Attempted my first possum road kill on the way home, quite often see them in the headlights but automatically brake and swerve to avoid hitting. But saw one running down the middle of the road, so decided to take it down. Drove over and heard a slight ‘bump’ so thought I got it :P , Reverse back to try and see if it needed to be run over again so it did not suffer… Found it laying on the road so backed over it and heard a large ‘bump’ this time… Back into forward only to see it running off the road into the scrubs… They are tough. Hopefully it would die quickly, and not slowly suffer with a broken bones for a few weeks before passing away.

fishforpot
    Participant

Watched a longline come in from the beach off Spencers Park this morning …..baited with a mix of crab and paua …….set from 200-350 mtrs out and left for the turn and an hour if the incomming ….
    Retrieval was staggered , with 5min pauses letting all hooks fish various distances , quite a clever idea!

Every hook was untouched , other than the millions of sealice eeewwwwwwwww

And a mate of mine , who couldnt even catch a cold …..went to Kaiterete Spit last night ….armed with crab for bait
    Ive only heard 2nd hand , but I dont think he improved his percentages any ….returned empty handed again

Seriously though , if he couldnt catch anything , it probably isnt there to be caught yet , another few weeks maybe !

rdeejay
    Participant

Just goes to show how rubbish the fishing has got around here when you can’t even catch anything on a longline.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at the interclub competiton at wakanui today. Just a whole lot of dogfish and a couple small schoolies.

Mal
    Participant

Early days yet,you northern boys are usually ahead of me, but I dont normally start catching takeable fish until start of November… however I hope the longliners are discouraged!!

Mal
    Participant

Caught a small buck elephant off waianakarua beach last night

rdeejay
    Participant

Brother and his family decided to go for a drive out to amberley so i tagged along and went for a fish, caught 3 doggies for my efforts

fishforpot
    Participant

You headed the wrong direction ….more than a dozen rig caught this morning along Kaitareti Spit …..a few up around the 20lb mark

Also taken were small greyboys , red cod and a dogfish to he who cant catch a cold …..

Jaws was also out there this morning , biting off the author before heading east to take another angler on several blistering runs before it could be turned …. 3 more runs and the 10 minute struggle was over ….hindsight is a fine thing , so is steel trace , bugga !

They kept biting up till near lunchtime when we packed up , lots of them out there though , toying with the baits …

No sign of elephant fish , give it another few weeks maybe

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.