Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Talking of sharks, I must get down the coast and see if the Sevengillers and Topes are still about one day soon :)

Sevengillz
    Participant

A work mate had a big run down the blind river over the weekend.Took a whole squid from just behind the breakers and ran hard and pinged him off.So id say they are still around.Havnt had much of a chance myself really.Prob only made 3 or 4 trips to seaview over the summer.Dont think I even visited the airstrip with a rod once.Was planning on a sniff this weekend but the airshow sounds like it going to be a decent one this year and no-doubt the conditions will pack up when I do have a chance to go :evil:

Miliwolf
    Participant

The swell forecast is looking awesome for tomorrow :x Probably could get time off work to….. I would probably head down for a look on Sunday. The conditions look fishabel.

I caught a couple of sevengillers on Mar 21, so they should still be around. Only spent a couple of hours fishing.

On the topic of Big fish small boats… I had several Orcas (They look like fish so they are fish) swam beneath my kayak in about 5m of water one day. That was a cool experience, especially knowing that they are capable of hunting and eating great white sharks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Somewhere I read that makos and some other sharks have at times jumped into peoples boats.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I’ve seen a photo of a marlin (or similar fish) jumping into a boat and spearing the angler right through the chest. The fish sometimes win.

Simon
    Participant

I’ve read about a billfish who came in green and speared a woman in the boat through one of her implants :grin: Also seen pictures of a marlins bill sticking through the transom of a boat, and another one with two broken off sailfish bills lodged in its head. apparently they found the rest of them in its stomach…

Giller
    Participant

Zac,have yo heard or caught much in the last week down at rangitata as heading down there this fri to pack up caravan and was thinking of making it a couple days and try for a few gillers,but if the fishing has died off to nothing then is prob no point going for more than a day trip .

so have you heard of anything recent down there ?

cheers
    Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished at Rangitata for an hour or so a week or two back and got hammered by dogfish. Didn’t catch anything else, so packed up after a while. I’d say there would still be some rig around, and maybe the odd seven giller. Haven’t seen a post by storm for a while, but if they are still catching fish at browns it shouldn’t be that different at Rangitata.

Giller
    Participant

cheers mate .

will attempt to get rods out and see what happens

rdeejay
    Participant

I’ll be giving browns beach a go for the first time on saturday as i’m heading down to temuka for the weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I’m heading down to Invercargill tomorrow for about 5 days, so hopefully I can get some fishing in. I’m not that sure of places to fish, other than the wharf as it seems the easiest option. Might try a couple other places on the way back to Ashburton if I have time.

rdeejay
    Participant

Perhaps Oreti beach might be worth a shot? I lived in Invercargill for 3 months when i was younger and used to be a good spot for toheroa when you were allowed to pick them, perhaps theres some tuatua around so that might be a good feeding bed for some fish.

rdeejay
    Participant

Also the estuary might be worth a shot for some mullet etc? but i’m only just guessing here but just remembering some of the places i used to go when i was there.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Titirangi Bay Friday/Saturday.

Surfcasted from 11am-10:30pm (with 1hr kayak fish break) and caught 1 small KY, 1 Couta and 2 carpet sharks. Low tide was around 5pm, the couta and KY were both caught on the outgoing tide, while the carpet sharks were caught around 10pm,

Got up at 6am and fished the dawn and caught nothing. So went Kayak fishing again.

While kayak fishing I caught 2 Snapper, 2 Couta, Handful of KY and 5-6 Blue Cod.

Fished the beach rather then the point… Probably should be less lazy next time.

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished Browns Beach on both Saturday and Sunday, fished with 1 mate from Timaru on Saturday and caught around 18 doggies between us a 3.4KG Carpet shark and 1 big doozy of a crab, Sunday there was four of us but was a bit slower with around 12 doggies and 3 carpet sharks all big and fat the heaviest being 4.5kg. Lost a few other carpet sharks in the breakers but oh well.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.