Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Its a good idea to wear a PFD while out surfcasting in case of a freak wave or needing to wade out deeper then is desirable to release a fish. A couple of times I had to wade out to retrieve fish which I tried to release but they turned into floaters… A PFD just makes it a little more safer.

I almost never wear mine :oops:

Can’t sleep. Completely exhausted from long Kayak paddle into strong wind. But adrenaline or something is keeping me awake way past my normal bed time :sad: Snapper fishing tomorrow night :)

rdeejay
    Participant

Damn wish the snapper came this far down, Last time i caught snapper was in Nelson a few years back and before that as a kid catching snapper and rock cod off the bluff on Ninety Mile Beach. One day i’ll go stay with my mother in Te Kao(70 odd km nth of Kaitaia) and get some real fishing in, Go catch me a kingy down pukenui, and go around ninety mile hunting snapper and big ole trevally etc.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished the high and outgoing tide tonight, Started fishing just before dark. Water was quite dirty. Caught nothing. Spent around 2.5hrs fishing.

Location: First spot the road is next to the water in the Mahakipawa arm. Have fished this spot 3 or so times and have never caught a thing. It is very shallow and is mudflat at low tide :)

elmo22
    Participant

went down to rakaia south side by the huts on saturday got there at 9am started fishing at 9.15 half tide coming in had 2 rods, crab on one ….squid,herring,pipi,prawn on other. the crab got lots of big hits..4 hits and each time i wound it in most of the crab was gone either half or bites out of them..also hooked 3 and had them on for a little while and lost them ….1 caught and landed.. (rig) the day was nice and hot no wind and clear blue sky left at 12.15pm a magic day.. also got some doges on the other rod (6)… so the next day (sunday) me and my mate went back ready to catch some more rig had a few crabs left got there at 8.00am and started fishing straight away, we had 4 rods in the water and bugger me not a single hit on the crabs used cray fish nothing we got about 10 doges on the other bait but no rig.. amazing one day heaps of bites the next day same spot nothing left at 2.30pm will rember saturday for a long time bits about every 20 odd minutes

yellowfin
    Participant

You’ll notice with rig they will pick up the bait and run with it, and if you strike right away you’ll probably loose them. This happened to me a lot the first time I used crab for bait at the Pier targeting rig. I had 3 big runs and each time I thought they were on for sure, but after I striked they were gone. Apparently they will pick up the bait and run with it, then stop to eat it, so you have to wait before you strike.

elmo22
    Participant

i leave the rod in the rod holder so they hook them selfs, have caught lots of rig this way.. i was fishing with a thick wire trace and the hook on the end of that..this is the first time i used a thick wire trace. i use nyoln all the time with a hook on that so i think that the thick wire trace may have something to do with lossing them,it may not off turned the hook onto the fish or to stiff to let the fish grap it and hook itself..used nyoln on sunday but with no hits dont know for sure

Miliwolf
    Participant

From my experience few (if any) other fish would take a Crab bait so there is probably no need for a wire trace when chasing rig.

Thinking back, I have only ever caught rig on crab bait. One night I was fishing Salty and someone saw me using crab for bait and they commented that the red cod would love them. Never caught a Red Cod using crab for bait, but often find crabs in their stomaches.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rig could probably bite through mono, and if they don’t bite through they can put some wear on the line. A wire trace would probably last a lot longer, just make sure it’s plastic coated. Most the red cod I have caught have only had really small crabs in their stomachs, never anything big.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Rigs do not even have proper teeth. Never seen any fish caused abrasion on my line when targeting rig and they do have a bad habit of wrapping the line around themselves.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spent the last few days fishin around the beatrix,clova,crail area with a couple of mates.Alot of fish landed on the friday but sadday n sundy were fairly quiet.Definatly a mixed bag and some good fish.The tally was 5 snapper around the 2-4lb mark.Alot of cod,some legal (returned of course) A countless amount of kahawai and some were beaut specimens.Half a dozen monkfish,a nice rig around the 5kg mark,a dirty big conger,4 eagle rays and the biggest couta I have ever seen.
    I was hopeful for a kingi encounter but it wasnt to be.I picked the brains of a local old-timer and he reckoned the kingis had been real quiet this season and he reckoned there was a fairly big shark that had been hanging around for quite awhile.Apparently alot of setlines had been destroyed to and a heap of big snapper heads had been hauled up.He had been in the bay his whole life and from what I gathered most of us have no idea just how often a fairly big shark pays a visit to the sounds.
    Ive seen a few different sharks around but never encountered 15ft big boy while sitting in a 10ft tinny.Would be a hell of a feeling :shock:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Looks like the bronzies are getting themselves into a bit of trouble. Good to hear that they are dealing to the set lines, hope they manage to drop the hooks sooner rather then later.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah it may well be a bronzie no-one really knows but the old fella I was yarning to said the biggest shark he has encountered in his bay over his lifetime was infact a hammerhead but that was like 6 decades ago……back when you could catch a groper off seaview :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Bronzies are the most common large shaek seen in NZ waters. Bronzies are known to steal fish and they can grow upto 4m and they are common in the sounds.

I like this quote from a spearfishing site

“The most common shark in New Zealand waters, the bronzie accounts for 99% of all shark sightings. It is most easily recognized by geography: If you see a shark and you’re diving in NZ waters, it was a bronzey”

I have never been lucky enough to see one but I do not go spearfishing much anymore.

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t think the Hammerheads would come anyone near that far south.

Sevengillz
    Participant

zac

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.