Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Simon
    Participant

Fished Birdlings Flat today from about 3.30 to 6.30, slow at first, only a few doggies and a small schoolie. then, as the sun was setting, the rod doubled over and my sand spike turned into somewhat of a v-shape haha. The cheap reel didn’t give any line, so I rushed over and untightened the brake. Landed a 7’6” sevengiller about20-30 minutes later. It had an awesome first run, and several smaller ones before i got it in. the season is saved! Will posts some pics soon…

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea i also fished birdling’s last night had something big on at dusk but broke me off rest of the day was very quiet. Was also lucky enough to see the sevengill landed by Simon, was the first one i have ever seen.
    Was wondering what normally happens to the fish that break off as it now has my breakout sinker and trace in its mouth?

Miliwolf
    Participant

It would either live or die…..

It might throw the hook…

It might swim around towing the line until it breaks down due to abrasion and UV…

It might wrap the line around itself and die…

It might wrap the line around a rock and starve to death…

It might bite off the hook, and it would remain there until it rusts out…

Might get blood poisoning from the rusting hook….

It might wrap the line around itself and die…

I personally tell myself they normally throw the hook after a few days… A few big sharks are caught in the sounds with a collection of hooks in its mouth… I have been trying to think up a way to include a strong weak spot which would make it easier for the hook to break away from the rest of the line after a few days in the water….

yellowfin
    Participant

Not fishing with a rod..

But took the flounder net down to the ashley river mouth on good friday. Ended up getting 16 in one drag. and another drag there was 8 in the net. Had to put some back.
    They had all been eating crabs. Might have to take a small rod down and try hook some..

and went for a snorkel at kaikoura. Managed to get myself 8 crayfish. The shells were a little soft though so put them back.But managed to get myself a nice one for the table :) Got some pauas too..
    Didnt manage to score anything with the speargun but seen some butterfish and a couple of small moki. and bloody wrasse of course :lol:

Simon
    Participant

how do i post pics here anyway? tried “upload attachment” but some kind of error message popped up! this damn computer doesn’t understand what i trying to do :?

yellowfin
    Participant

Upload it to a image hoster http://imageshack.us/
    then click on IMG button paste the url in between the img brakets
    img]http://imageshack.us/[/img]

HookLineSinker
    Participant

‘photobucket’ is a much easier website to use, just upload pic onto site the copy and paste the bottom code into ur message and wala your photo will appear.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just got back from Invercargill today. I fished most days from the 9th to the 16th at Bluff wharf. Went down to bluff for a short fish on Thursday evening and after an hour or so of not catching anything I started packing up, then I heard my Solaris/Axeon giving out line but after 3 long runs I couldn’t stop it and the hook pulled. I’m pretty sure it was a ray hooked in the wing, so that was my first hook up with the Solaris. The next day I went out again in the morning and fished most of the day. After not catching much, I hooked another ray, but by the time I got to the rod and wound up the slack line it had come back under the wharf and around one of the piles, and after about half an hour of the line rubbing it snapped off. I did get to see the underside of it, and it was definitely a big one, and according to another guy that was there it was an eagle ray because “it’s to big to be a stingray”, but I’m pretty much certain it was a short tail ray. Didn’t really catch much after that other than a big dogfish and a good sized blue cod. Next day I went out about the same time, and after the rain stopped I started fishing. First hook up was a skate, and throughout the day I got 6 skate in total. I also hooked a few small blue cod and small terakihi on my sabiki trace. It started getting dark so I thought I’d have my last cast, and casted out the tail end of one of the terakihi’s I’d caught, and not long after that it was picked up by a big ray. After about an hour of fighting it finally surfaced about 10 meters from the wharf, and then after another half an hour of trying to get my hands on the shockleader without loosing my rod I got the shockleader cut from the reel and tied to the wharf. After having a look I’m pretty certain it’s wingspan was over a meter wide, and it also looked like it had no tail, so had possibly been caught before. One of the worst parts of the fight and the thing I was worrying about the whole time was my other rod going off, and right near the end of the fight I looked over to see my other reel giving off line slowly and steadily, but with the ray still on I couldn’t do anything, and after a couple minutes, luckily the run stopped. Other than blue cod, spotties, barracouta, terakihi, skate, rays, carpet sharks and dogfish my only other catches were two octopus. I also went along floundering at Oreti beach one morning, and got some flounder and a lot of crabs to keep for bait.

The carpet shark I got was a lot smaller than all the ones I’ve had from Birdlings flat down to Timaru. Strangely all of the 10 or so Carpet sharks I have had before, have all been the same size. Same with every single skate I have had, and even seen caught, they have all been basically the same size. I know they grow bigger as I’ve seen the photo on this site of a massive one caught near Rakaia.

Pictures:

First Dogfish

Couple of the skate. You can see the hook thing I used to get the skate up, all it is, is a 10/0 hook tied to the end of a rope. It definitely came in handy, although I’m planning on getting a proper gaff hook or treble gaff hook and adding a weight to make it easier to use.

Spotties

Some cod. Only one was legal size.

One of the 5 or so small Terakihi I got. Interestingly they were all the exact same size as the ones I’ve had off the Timaru wharf.

The bigger of the two Octopus. This one was eating the dogfish and held on all the way until I tried to pull it up, but the other one I actually hooked.

The only barracouta for the trip. It was quite small and seemed to be in fairly bad condition.

Small carpet shark.

I’m not sure if the pictures are working properly so I might have to upload them again somewhere else.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Certainly got a few interesting species, I have never caught a Terakihi or a Octopus from the shore.

I often fish two or more rods even down on the big shark beach. I have found that if a second rod does start to run the fish normally stops and rests after a while and would not run any further. Well, I know that Sevengillers, Topes, Doggies and Rays do that and the other species are not big enough to pull much line. They would only start moving again once pressure is applied.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I had my drag right off so there was no pressure needed to take off line, meaning whatever was on didn’t know it was hooked. Although there is still the weight of the sinker to pull around, and I’m surprised it didn’t end up swallowing the hook. I was getting loads of hits from the blue cod, but by the time I got my rod out of the holder and tightened the drag they were gone. It seems they like to twist or roll once hooked as a lot of times my traces were all twisted up after winding them in. Probably some swivel dropper things would work well with that.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Blue Cod certainly do that, they destroyed 3 ledger rigs before I decided just to strayline when I was fishing Titirangi over Easter. I always fish with a light-moderate drag so fish might react differently when there is no drag at all.

edit: Using a piece of tubing over the dropper loop can help prevent them twisting the line.

In the past when I have been battling a stubborn ray or shark I have returned the rod to the stand to attend to other rods which have fish or would get in the way. The first fish have always cooperated for me….

Participant

Hi everyone fished out at baileys rd on saturday and managed to land two good size rig :wink:

“>

“>

rdeejay
    Participant

nice rigs! you eat them? Is that a penn powerstick in the 2nd photo?

rdeejay
    Participant

Speaking of rigs, my mate from Timaru has just got back into beach fishing and headed out to Normanby just south of Jacks Point and was catching quite alot of rig and school sharks but the big girls blouse wont remove the hooks so his missus has to do it! shame.

Participant

Yes its a penn rod, both fish were finned straight away ready for eating nothing better than fresh fish, heaps of doggies around aswell so changed to crab on all rods, in the other photo with the rig was caught on 10pound line it was really fun playing it on light line, it nearly spooled me 300mtrs out on its first run real fun aye

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.