Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Just a gaf type thing on the end of a strong rope is what tala uses.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh so like just a normal gaf hook tided on a rope i guess? i have seen gaf hooks for sale at various stores

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m not sure what you call them, but they are more in the shape of a treble hook with 3 hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh ok then

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spent a couple of days up the port on a cray mission.Got heaps and some real big boys too.Well 3.5kg is what I would class as big these days and that was the heaviest one.It was an unreal place that was holding them I mean not the sort of place you would even bother looking for crays so I think we hit a sweet spot that no-one else had sniffed out.Got a few paua well over legal size and saw millions of just under legal ones.
    Had a fish but didnt find a hell of alot but did have an encounter with a BIG kingi.Just as we were slowing down to idle the big bastard was just gliding behind us like he been cruising the wake.The jigs and mackarel went on quick smart but he didnt show any interest in what we had to offer.He followed a jig in once then just cruised off.
    I put the surf rod out about midnight but the high tide had me resticted to the head of the bay but there wasnt shit goin on up there.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Went down to the beach last night and fished over the high tide (10pm) for a few hours. Caught a couple of small sharks and one good school shark weighing 12kgs, which i ended up roping in by the tail end with the second hook on my trace as it bit through the one i hooked it with then foul hooked in the tail so that was a bit of luck and ended up about 400 metres down the beach from where id started with the fight.
    After dark caught a nice rig too. After that was bitten off by a big moocher then packed up and went home.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice rig..

I went down to the diversion again today, first in the morning at high tide but there was nothing about. Checked out the Bar and the amount of water the tide pushes up the cutting at high tide is impressive.

Went back to the diversion late afternoon, went to the south side via the sand road and notice about five cars parked on my side :twisted: so I went home. I noticed earlier in the day that someone had smashed the entry gate but it was still standing. So they must of decided to finsish the gate off……… I was tempted to go and fix the gate and force all the cars to travel back via the sand road but I was to lazy and probably lacked the tools. Hopefully the council would repair it quickly so I can have my side back.

[b:1a8z7h4r]Weather[/b:1a8z7h4r]

At home it was blowing a gale. Down at the springlands it was a very light wind, cloudy bay was almost flat. I guess it must have been a true Westerly wind.

PierMaster
    Participant

Went and fished at lytelton harbour on the breakwater near this boat place today

I got a small rig bout 1kg and my mate lost a massive ray after bout 50min fight est 80kg lost it right in close to the rocks

gunnercoops
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve caught one moki and lots of bastard red cod around there (which I think are generally a little smaller and darker than red cod and hang around rocks more). Not sure if you can get down there these days with what they’re doing with Lake Forsyth?

Miliwolf
    Participant

How does clifford bay fish during a Southerly?

10km/hr winds with 20km/hr gusts at the moment?
    .5m swell.

For 10km/hr
    “Small wavelets, still short, but more pronounced. Crests have a glassy appearance and do not break”

For 20km/hr
    “Small waves, becoming larger; fairly frequent white horses”

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

PierMaster
    Participant

Went back and fished lyttelton breakwater again. 1st cast hooked into a big ray, fought for close to an hour then got it right into the rocks next to me could have touched it (not that i wanted to lol) was gona cut the line but it bit through before i got the knife at the same time i was fighting the ray my other rod went off and got a nice 12lb rig fished from 6pm till 9pm

not a bad spot for stingrays have had 2 in 2 days :P

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from Clifford Bay. My gamble paid off, there was a gentle offshore breeze* and no chop on the sea. The swell was small. Threw out a few prawn baits and a bonito bait while catching crabs. There was a lot of weed in the water and it often covered the lines making them hard to pull in :(

The fishing was a non-event, I landed two extra tiny Tope and a equally small Rig. The rig took a prawn bait and the Tope took a red flasher rig baited with prawn.

My crab pot got crashed by weed on its first drop, so I was about to give up but all further drops resulted in crabs, mainly small but one big one towards the end. Should now have enough crabs to last me 3-4 rig hunting trips.

The local sea birds have started to roost on the pier, it is now completely covered in bird shit. Should make it pleasant for anyone who fishes from it.

*The gentle offshore breeze blew the sewage like smell of decomposing lake material towards me all night :x

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.