Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yea that breakwater i have heard of it and apparently it is a very good spot for rays heard of alot caught there over the years. now after havin a yarn to my boss who has been fishing his whole life mainly from boats he said he had heard of gurnaard caught off moutanau not so long ago and had heard of snapper caught off bp and himself had got one at kaikoura one year though very small but he thinks withthis warmer water with the kingis around thinks snapz could very well be possible rare but possible

yellowfin
    Participant

If you wanted to actually target Stingrays, I’d probably use a wire trace and heavy shockleader. My shark traces have about 80 – 90cm of 250lb Mono, and around a 30cm length of really heavy plastic coated wire. I had been using around 8/0 – 10/0 stainless steel hooks, but I’ve made a few traces up with 10/0 recurve/circle type hooks. Also if you make the trace so it has the bait sort of sitting on the ocean floor, and use a whole mullet or whole crab as bait.

Even if the trace might be a bit overkill, at least it’s still in good condition after hooking a couple sharks/rays. Also it’s important to use plastic coated wire, and use either heat shrink or electrical tape over any crimps, and even some electrical tape up the hook to about the barb, as sharks can actually detect the metal, and can put them off.

Haven’t been fishing around lyttelton for years now. Wasn’t sure if there was anywhere suitable to fish from. I remember the last time I fished there, I caught loads of small mullet, but it wasn’t really off any rocks or a wharf.

PierMaster
    Participant

Its called naval point yacht club

My 60lb leader 80lb trace holds up long enough :P, its the rocks that get ya most of the time

all im using is 6/0 hook 80lb trace with long dropper covered in lumo and herring head for bait

yellowfin
    Participant

80lb and lumo covering the hook end of the dropper usually protects from being bitten off, but if you let them roll they can get rapped in the shockleader and snap off anyway. It’s always harder landing fish off the rocks anyhow.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a fish at the waimak last night. Got one big kahawai, 4 small-medium kahawai, and a mullet. Pretty standard stuff.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Were you land based or having fun on that new kayak of yours?

yellowfin
    Participant

Land based, was fishing until about mdnight. Was wading out a bit to cast into deeper water.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone going fishing on Friday? I thought I might go up to either Birdlings Flat, or just to the Pier, not sure yet. The Pier gets a bit annoying these days with more people fishing there at night, I remember a few years it would just be a couple people fishing, now the whole place is usually packed. But I suppose if the sea is a bit rough, or it’s a bit windy, I could still go up to the Pier.

rdeejay
    Participant

Not Friday but most probably Saturday at Birdlings. I only live about a 5 min drive from New Brighton but never fished the pier, but then all the idiots i hear about up there puts me off.

tracknz
    Participant

rdeejay

yellowfin
    Participant

trying to decide where iwill go tomorrow…. considering birdlings or amberley or nape nape. the sst at birdling has droped to 15.3 i think where as other os 16 so it is getting colder which could be good maybe

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah Nape Nape is further. I wouldn’t trust the travel time on Google maps though, it said it would be over 3 hours to get from Ashburton to Nape Nape, and it only took just over 2 hours with one stop for petrol. It took around 1 hour 30 minutes from Ashburton to Birdlings flat though, and around the same time from here to the Pier.

yellowfin
    Participant

haha yea like it told me some time to get to hanmer and it took less than a hour one day it said lik a hour and a half or something

yellowfin
    Participant

think i may go to birdlings at this point just for the day though from 8ish till 2ish

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.