Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    PierMaster
    Participant

Went out to birdlings flat again last night(15th) and fished from 3-8pm got out there. It was pretty windy so had to cast bout 20m along the beach so that the line would be out in front of my rod stand. :P
    2nd cast hooked a well over 8ft+ seven gill shark was bigger than i was!! had it about 4m away from me and that was the closest i got it. Came very close to spooling me, i was down to the last few turns to my reel which is 300m+ out but managed to wrench most of it back in. But after an epic battle of 1 and a half hours! and about 150m away from my mate and other fishing rods it bit me off maybe 30m from shore just behind the breakers, F***! Was pretty screwed after that so i just lay on the beach for a good half hour lol :P but did get to see the shark plenty of times in just behind the breakers and splashing around pretty far out so was all good fun :)
    then caught a decent rig abit later on
    lots of dogfish tho

storm
    Participant

i had a similar thing happen last night hooked a real big 7 giller and had it on for almost 1 hour till it bit thru my trace almost had it on the beach a couple of times got to see alot of it as it stayed up on the surface for for probably the first 10 minutes managed to land a 7 footer about 1 hour later ended up hooking 5 but only landing 1 in 4 hours my mate fished all day (12 hours ) he landed 4 the biggest was 9 foot and he lost to many to count !

Mal
    Participant

What beach were you on Storm??

storm
    Participant

was out at the orari mouth

PierMaster
    Participant

Went out to birdlings for a wee evening fish after work on thurs(18th) 6-9pm got a kahawai and an ele
    was dam nice there no wind and clean as water :)

Simon
    Participant

Hey guys, new here… in nz for a year, and trying to catch as big and as many as possible before i’m off to norway again… finally got my revenge over the rigs last night, caught 3 small ones from the pier. my first ones :) copying piermaster’s setup did the trick, thx andrew :wink:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Not Surfcasting, but caught my first Snapper of the Summer :) It took a gulp crab in the QC sounds which was drifting behind my kayak. It is a day earlier then my first Snapper last summer. Took it just after high tide probably around 7:30pm, the sea breeze was still strong.

Simon, You would have to head a couple of hours north or south and try for a few of the big sharks which roam the surf zone during the summer.

yellowfin
    Participant

Why would he have to head a few hours north or south? There’s beaches closer to Christchurch and even the Pier you can catch sharks at. Birdlings flat isn’t that far.

Simon
    Participant

will do. i’ll be in aussie in january, and will hopefully hook on to something decent. even bought a 24 kg standup outfit on trademe here the other day, and the largest hook i could find in fisherman’s loft haha. will probably have to rent a kayak or something to deploy the bait, or take it out with a baloon in offshore wind…. I know i’m not swimming it out haha. couple of k’s smelly tuna under the arm a few hundred meters from shore during summer time :grin: will mostly use my regular surfcasting outfit ofcourse :) anyone know when shark season from shore ends in canterbury? when the water is getting cooler again or?

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve always been keen on swimming a big bait out. Would have to choose the beach wisely tho.

What sharks would be around?? Sevengillers, rig etc obviously?? but any other species in canterbury waters??

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

Simon

Simon
    Participant

Miliwolf

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hey Simon i was chatting with you the other evening i see you have sorted the logging on thing out now, man that was some big bait you were launching out half a fish and a hook the size a butcher would hang a pig from :lol:

We should take you out on our kayak mission but you can catch the big sharks on your own i’m not into kayak skiing behind a mako :dude:

have a merry xmas

Miliwolf
    Participant

Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.