Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from fishing amberley again. went with aaron (jones jr) this time he managed to get a nice rig of 7kg sea was pretty rough and the wind was a pain in the ass. after he left i got 4 small rig a small schoolie and got busted off by something rather large after about a 15min fight

Miliwolf
    Participant

It was still overcast with a gentle wind blowing down the valley at home, but there was blue sky out towards the sea. Decided at around 4pm to head down to the saltworks for a fish.

When I got there was little chop, with small to moderate size swells breaking. The sea was dirty with the blue water being several km out at Sea. It was obvious that the southerly really roughed things up the day before.

I fished three rods, two using crab for bait and one with prawn. I caught heaps of crabs using my pot. Had a couple of ‘strikes’ on my crab rods but failed to hook up, then at around high-tide the prawn rod bent over and I caught a small rig. That was the end of the action for me, sunset and moon raise failed to produce any more bites so I packed up and went home.

Fishing time: 4pm-10pm
    Hige tide: 6:45pm
    Sunset: 8:55 pm
    Moon: Full
    Weather: post southerly
    Surfcafe temp: 15.6
    Bait: Crab, Raw Prawn (1 rig), Cooked Prawn.

There was a bunch of people fishing bait from the end of the pier, they caught a range of Skates, Small-medium size sharks and other expected fish.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

To add to Greg’s story.

Caught my first rig today! And pretty happy with it being 7kg. Greg obviously had a good time last weekend getting them at Amberley so I went with him yesterday. The water was a bit rough and had to wait for the tide to come in a bit till our lines were atleast just behind the breakers, Amberley seems to be a little shallower then the likes of birdlings for e.g but is still a shingle beach as most would know.

Took a while but around 3.40pm or there abouts my rod buckled over, came out’ve my rod stand and started getting pulled into the ocean! I really thought I could’ve lost the darn thing but managed to run and grab it out’ve the water. Had a good fight and brought him in, good thing the hook held on as it was bent a fair bit by the time we got it out. You can see in the pics below how ruff it was at the time, also have added my first elephant fish I got 2 and a bit weeks ago.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Fourth pic showing the conditions.

yellowfin
    Participant

Shark_Tale

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from the grove arm, it was a lovely calm morning, fished the high tide, went for a swim, not a single bite.

Going back to the salt lakes tonight :) I like the coast more then the sounds.

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i would tend to agree with both of you booger and milli. the amount of eles i have heard getting caught is up from past years as you say milli it maybe 5-10 years before the fishing would improve but also with the ban it means the fish can move in with out being stopped half way. so its interesting especially for us canterbury anglers where the fishing isnt always overly great close to chch

yellowfin
    Participant

Well they cut red cod quotas and suddenly people around here started catching about twice as many red cod than they were last year. Now they’ve banned inshore netting and surfcasters catches around here have increased dramatically. Nets are dirty nasty things, good riddance! Keeping them away should help short-term and long-term.

yellowfin
    Participant

A fair while back when our family lived at woodend beach we used to go out at lowtide and set nets across the channels. We’d easily get 30+ rig and eles out of each net.
    So the trawlers that used to trawl up and down the coast must have had a fairly big impact on fish numbers.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a quick fish just south of the cliffs today. Got there around 5pm and fished until 7:20pm. High tide was around 7:45pm.

Things started slowly with the raw shrimp taking a tiny tope and a small red cod, at around 6:30pm a fish grabbed my crab bite, it faught like a small rig but it got off in the breakers. This was quickly followed by another strike but drop. At around 7pm the rod bent over again, after a short fight a 5kg (11lb) rig was landed.

Moon: Mainly full
    Sea Temp: 15.6
    High tide: 7:45pm
    Bait: Crab (2 rigs), Raw Prawn (Small tope and red cod), Cooked Prawn (nothing)
    Weather: Fine with high clouds.
    Sea: Slightly coloured (cleaner water 400m out), with small swell with little chop.

PierMaster
    Participant

Went and fished at birdlings from bout 4.30 till 9pm tonight was a bit windy but not too bad got 4 rig rig biggest bout 3kg, 2 good size ele’s and a small red cod
    got the rig on crab and the ele’s on tuatua

yeah this seaon has been wicked so far caught over 70+ rig :P and bout 10 ele’s woo since octoberand only pretti much fish in the weekends :)

also

nice rig Aaron!:)

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Good stuff Andrew! Yeah the fishing has been good along the coast this year, and I agree with Danny there seemed to be more red cod about the past winter and of good size. Am happy with my rig! Got quite a fair bit filleted up in the freezer, will keep me going for a bit. One way to cook them if one is too lazy like me at times is I’ll take them to the local fish and chip shop and they’ll cook them for me for a $1. There would be better ways, cool to know you caught it.

I would like to try tuatua but means I have to drive all the way across to Southshore then back to Birdlings, sighh….. The best thing I think one could try is those “live clams” at the super market when you go to buy mussels and stuff they are there to. But haven’t tried them, would save a trip to southshore if they did!

Cheers
    Aaron

PierMaster
    Participant

yeah true, im gona head down to southshore at low tied today need to stock up on them for awhile+ might head out to birdlings again if weather is alright.. i just get loads and freeze them all :)

gunnercoops
    Participant

Had a few hours at baileys yesterday morning. 1 Ele and a school shark caught on mullet..not me but caught by a mate and son. Tried tuatua, but didnt stay on when casting. I take it you need loads of bait elastic?? Also I found them mushy when from frozen. Saw another ele caught 12.5lb..no idea what that is in funny money.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah i’ve found tuatua/ pipis to be mushy after being frozen as well. If I ever use them I try to get them fresh.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.