Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Simon
    Participant

Yakkaman

PierMaster
    Participant

Yeah the pier lights still aint on went down last night(24th) and fished from 9.30 – 12pm caught 4 rig bout 6.5kg,5kg,3kg and 1kg. Bloody annoying beaching fish in the dark! haha o well got some fish destined for the bbq 2nyt!

camera didnt have enough batteries to use flash and the pier lights didnt help with the lighting so didnt take any photos :(

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hey Simon we’ll sort you out with a yak not probs but you’ll have to wait heading down to Twizel this morning boxing day trout fishing time then be back ocean time, burleys in the freezer ready to go.

cya all in two weeks :!:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was a delightful day over in Nelson, saw a pod of orca and a couple went under my kayak.

Rebel sports had around 7-8 Kilwell Jelly tips for $135, a Kilwell GGX Surf Rod $150 and a Rocky II rod for $165. I got the Rocky II but they might still have a few Jelly tips if someone needs a a good NZ made boat rod. They are all 50% off because they have been in the store for over two years.

yellowfin
    Participant

Them jelly tips can be good for rock/shark fishing etc if you don’t need to cast far.

Simon
    Participant

tried birdlings flat for the first time today. nice place, but didn’t catch much. some doggies and a couple of carpet sharks. mullet and crabs for bait, the crab didn’t get any bites. no schoolies for some reason…

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Dorie beach last night to about 1am, didn’t catch much, just a few doggies. Turned southerly and got a bit rough. Heading out to Rangitata beach now, although it’s still a southeasterly wind.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Snapper fish in the Mahakipawa Arm, in the shallows right next to the spot where some people launch boats. Fished from 8pm-11pm, high tide was around 10:30pm. Caught nothing. Lost quite a bit of bait.

Still have not figured out shore fishing for Snapper :P

Sevengillz
    Participant

Whats the water looking like down there Mili? I guess its always a bit off colour but I thought the pelorus might still be a bit dirty after that rain.
    Jeez I havnt had a chance to wet a bait over the last cupla 3 weeks.Keen to get onto the snapper when things die down.No doubt its mad out the sounds :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

The sounds are quite crazy, but the water was fairly normal looking for this time of year. QC might be slightly clearer then normal.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Went out to Taumutu yesterday. Fishing was quiet. Lots of small bites and only a medium sized female paddle crab landed. Got a solid hook up and was nearly spooled just on dusk. Thankfully i was able to break the line before my rod and i went for a swim :). Using cooked prawns for bait.

gunnercoops
    Participant

just come back from Baileys, not much happening there. Caught a 4lb KY on a ticer, lost a few more, my mate got a 5lb one on mullet, they gave a bit of fun for a while, then the Dolphins came in and they left. Nothing else around, tried all sorts of baits, most got stripped off pretty quick. No one else down there was doing anything either. Nice and calm and hot tho :) KY destined for the smoker, after marinading this afternoon.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ventured further south down the coast for fishing over this mornings high tide in an area iv never fished before till now.
    Sea was flat with bit of on shore slopy swell. Strong norwesters were blowing up the coast but it was still with a little breeze where i was fishing.

The resullt was within an hour i was packing up again as i filled my chilly bin with fish, (i like to only catch enough for the freezer, dont like catching just to release for the sake of it.)

The fish were three good school sharks, 5kg, 8kg and 13kg.

Caught the smaller one quickly then had to wait a while when my second rod went over and had a lot of line taken, started to play it towards the beach when my other rodwent over too and it bent like if never seen it bend before (drag was quite tight). So managed to swiftly get the 8kg fish on the beach, then pulled the other one in, by the time i got to the rod it had taken a heap of line and put on a good scrap taking several burst of line before finally getting closer enough to the beach so i could grab it out of the water this was the 13kg fish in excellent condition.
    Both the bigger fish had whole red cod inside them about 20cm long!!!
    Also back up by Kekerangu there was a feeding frenzy of sea birds about a mile long bombing the water right on the water edge south of the point so it was pretty active down that way.

So was a great morning fishing for the New year, in tend on going back a few more times to try for these seven gillers that are there too (so ya’s know where i was :wink: )

heres a pic of the bigger of the three

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just been down to Kaikoura to fish the evening high tide, Caught nothing.

Was nearly a perfect day which resulted in a strong sea breeze. Fished at the mouth of the Kowhai from 5-9:30pm. Used a range of baits. There was quite a few others fishing and to the best of my knowledge they only caught a single KY.

I have never found the beaches around Kaikoura overly productive. Has anyone ever experienced ‘hot’ fishing down there? (excluding the moki wharf)

The new wharf is currently closed for repairs it seems :(

Trumpy
    Participant

[quote:22sgmxt6]The new wharf is currently closed for repairs it seems
    Crikey,
    That sounds a bit dodgy.
    Just come back from Brown’s Beach off Temuka,
    Got 2 red cod and a KY, would have been there longer, but I have to work tonight. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.