Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    tracknz
    Participant

Its the arseholes like that who have been a big part in causing the weekend fishing ban on the pier. If I see them with big pots now I just cut them off. Apparantly maf was on the pier a couple of weeks ago making them throw the crabs back and confiscating thier catchers. Its a pity they dont do it a bit more often.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was up at Kaikoura last weekend, and went for a fish off the wharf there.

yellowfin
    Participant

what time were u there wiz? at night or day? night is much better than day off there and also you choice of bait can affect how you do

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhh maybe

Miliwolf
    Participant

Could catch moki and maybe butterfish using corn.

yellowfin
    Participant

Got Back from a few days up in the marlbourgh sounds. Blue Cod, leather jacket, snapper, mackral, skate and Kaiwahi caught.

It was my first snapper, only 29cm long but still my happy about it. Only snapper being caught that i saw/heard about in any great numbers or size are off longlines. Also caught my first rat king, we had a couple swimming around our boat chasing everything we brought up.

Had hoped to fish Kaikoura on the way up and back but both times the weather wasnt playing the game.

yellowfin
    Participant

Also brought couple hundred scallops back! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

nice stuff steve

Jones Jr.
    Participant

I went away with Shark_Tale and others to the Marlborough Sounds. We spent a whole day fishing for snapper, I didn’t get one. However I gave it a dam good shot so that’s all I can ask for and am happy. I caught a leather jacket, blue cod, mullet, skate, spottie and Kaiwhai. That skate and the Kaiwhai both I thought were snapper taking my running rig however after about 10 seconds with both you could tell the way they were fighting and it didn’t seem snapperish.

Shark_Tale got a nice we small snapper though, took the running rig nicely and that was cool. My other mate was using a little hook baited with squid (standard dropper for bait fish) and got the smallest snapper I’ve seen. I’ll put up the pics later today, nothing overly awesome though. That rat king’s were cool to watch swimming right underneath us, you could almost touch them sort of thing.

Nice seven giller there booger! Your only relatively new to fishing and you’ve done quite dam well I must say. Am looking forward to Kaikoura this comming Thu, Fri and Sat to get some good fishing in. Hopefully Moki and rig will be on the catch list as I’ve never caught them.

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

There is a large degree of luck with Snapper fishing in the sounds, location can be important at times. I like to drift fish mudflats and similar areas on a incoming tide at dusk. I typically use softbaits and work them back to the boat. I have been on dozens of fishing trips down the sounds and have never seen a Kingfish. I would hook up one day.

I plan to be down in Kaikouria next weekend if the weather is good.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

We were in a bay when we saw the king fish which is about half way up the Pelorous. I’ve been summond to take off where we caught it! LOL.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have done a bit of fishing in that general area. If I had a boat I personally would of shot over to Beatrix or Horseshoe bay. We use to launch in havelock and zoom out that way. We always had better luck fishing in the Queen Charlotte.

Now I do most of my fishing out of Okiwi Bay, French pass or near piction for a afterwork fish.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Here’s the pic of Steve’s small snapper, just legal. Put back of course to hopefully grow bigger.

St_Paul
    Participant

caught the 12lber just on dusk on a whole pilchard, was caught from the shore and had been berleying up a storm. was the only snapper I got over the whole 2 weeks. got gurnard, kahawai, skate, garfish mullet, trevally, loads of spotties, short tailed rays, long tailed rays and eagle rays.

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.