Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Interesting to hear. If I had a quad bike I would not of been fishing at the carpark, although would of been a social thing. I should get a bike so I can get up to the white bluffs.

The main issue I have with fishing comps is that you often have to kill all the fish so you can use them for a comp. Normally I release large fish ASAP. I do keep the odd rig though.

Just had a idea. I should get a fishfinder on my kayak and map the bottom terrain at blind river to locate a few depressions and other structure to hopefully give me a unfair advantage. But I suspect most of the fish swim quite close and parallel to the shore anyway.

Sevengillz
    Participant

haha thats not a bad idea Mili :D

yellowfin
    Participant

caught 2 nice blue mokie tonight bout 45 cms long a first for me nice fish

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sevengillz

HookLineSinker
    Participant

jezdw

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker

yellowfin
    Participant

got 3 more

yellowfin
    Participant

where abouts did you catch them?

yellowfin
    Participant

timaru

yellowfin
    Participant

I went down to Timaru this morning and fished most of the day. I caught a few mullet when I got there, but seemed to have really bad luck with them for the rest of the day, when the person just down from me was catching them throughout the day. I caught a tiny Tarakihi later on in the day, and i’m sure I saw some medium sized Moki swimming around in the kelp. Other catches were just Warehou.

On the big rod with the shark trace I had just made up I caught two big carpet sharks, both using Dogfish for bait as I had run out of mullet and had no other option. Someone else caught a Carpet shark earlier on in the day as well. I’ve caught five carpet sharks in the last month there out of about six trips, so there must be a lot around at the moment.

I am thinking of having a fish at the beach across from the wharf next time, or trying off the break water casting north. I want to target seven gillers and just see if there are many around, and also another Stingray would be nice.

yellowfin
    Participant

went to the pier today caught about 40 mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

anyone really know what the crab population is in kaikoura

Miliwolf
    Participant

Apart from big orange crabs I have never seen any while diving around Kaikouria. I suggest you capture a few at the pier before leaving. I have never tried this, but if you keep them in a cold wet towel they should survive for a couple of days.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i got a couple at the pier but crabbing is totally banned not that many people losten there would have ben 7 or 8 crab catchesoff the pier today saw one dude with 4 shopping bags

yellowfin
    Participant

Sometimes big groups of asians come out in the early hours of the morning after midnight with massive crab catchers and get huge amounts of crabs. They know its illegal, otherwise they wouldn’t be coming so late.

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.