Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

To all those thinking of entering the amberley comp tomorrow

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished at the mouth of the ure river for a while, sea was fairly rough. Water dirty, the ‘blue water’ was around 400m out to sea. After a couple of hours I moved down the coast to just north of Kekerengu. There the blue water was only 70m from the shore.

Caught a large KY, then a while later had my other rod bend over with a decent size fish on. But it was not hooked. In all 1 fish and 1 run for 4-5 hours fishing.

Wanted to fish at the spot where I caught the tope last week but there was three others already there. The clean blue water was fairly close to shore there to.

Really need to get a 2nd surfcaster, used a boat rod today rated for 10-15kg but it could not keep the line above the surf and it kept on getting buried beneath rocks. It could cast a decent distance.

yellowfin
    Participant

nice about how large was ur kaiwhai mili? and what was it caught on?

Sevengillz
    Participant

yo Mili,is it possible to get a car near the mouth of the Ure or am I better off parkin by the bridge?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I did not weigh the KY but I guess it would be around 2.5kg, caught on a piece of squid on a 4/0 owner circle hook.

There is a road down to the mouth of the ure, but it is one long series of bumps. In dry conditions if you take it slow a car should be able to get fairly close to the mouth. The first half of the road is not that bumpy. The “mouth” (river was blind) did not seem that fishy and I am in no hurry to fish there again.

yellowfin
    Participant

decent distance out? what do you think it was that you almost hooked?

yellowfin
    Participant

how deep are these beaches that youguys

yellowfin
    Participant

looks like i better watch tv 3 now to try get some hints so i can be like

Miliwolf
    Participant

Most of them are quite shallow to a good distance out. They normally drop off quite suddenly to 3-4m then slowly get deeper from there…. The beaches around Kaikouria are simalar.

The ones near the river mouths would be shallower I suspect.

yellowfin
    Participant

cause that one we fished at

Miliwolf
    Participant

I still think there is visible rocks jagging out of the sea quite distant from the beach. That is not a sign of deep water. I suspect that most of Kaikouria coastline is fairly shallow. To add numbers, at a rough guess from diving there I suspect for every 10m out the seafloor would drop away by about 2m…. atleast initially. I should get a fish finder on my yak and get real numbers… Would be interesting to know.

In saying that, it is much deeper then mudflats and many other places.

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished the Timaru wharf again today. I got yet another big Carpet shark, I think this is about my 6th one in the last few weeks, works out to one every trip I think. I also got a good amount of mullet for bait, and a few red cod. There is heaps of small Tarakihi around off the wharf at the moment, but i’m not sure if there are any bigger ones down there. Also saw some Moki swimming around in the kelp.

I might go back down to Timaru again to fish off the beach accross from the wharf and see what I get.

tracknz
    Participant

I was told today that the kingfish are back around the taylors mistake area. With that said I think I will flag Amberly tomorrow, especially if it gets as hot as it was today, and head over the hill with a popper and see if anything has a go.

yellowfin
    Participant

i fished the bay the back of the timaru warf tonight between me n a friend got 2 moki one red cod n somthing i dont know wot it is little teeth pokin out the front n crushed up mussels inside it with a solid tail fin not split

Sevengillz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.