Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    luv2fish
    Participant

Went fishing

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

luv2fish: good idea on the catch and release, they not very tasty. I know, because me and a mate caught 2 in the Akaroa harbour and ate them. They look like they should have a bit of meat on them, but turns outs its mostly guts. Lots of guts.
    Grimace

luv2fish
    Participant

Thanks Grimace, My partner thought it appeared to have more guts than flesh and he also felt sorry for it lol, hence catch and release. I personally only wanted to know if it was any good to eat:D

yellowfin
    Participant

i remember when i got a carpet shark

Sevengillz
    Participant

Just another vid of a cupla fish from my last outing.nothin special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSk4tLKZ2Y

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from Kaikouria trip. Friday night it was nearly ideal conditions. Shame I wasted it drinking. I checked the wharf out before my drinking started and there was a massive school of herrings present. There was around a dozen people fishing there but no one had anything.

After being kept up most of the night by loud drunks. I got out of bed late (had to catch up on sleep) and drove back towards Blenheim.

I caught a good size Tope surfcasting in a spot similar to where Sevengillz video was taking. I might have my land features completely wrong. The tope managed to break the top section of my surf rod. Well I was trying to pull it up the beach with it because I did not want to get my shoes wet. Anyway, rod and line broke but I managed to grab the shark and remove the hook before releasing it.

A bit later a pod of dolphins turned up and hanged around in the surf for the next hour until I left.

I then fished seaview for a while but only caught a few small sharks. Managed to release all but one which shallowed a large circle hook. A workup did move along the beach while I was there but did not catch anything from it.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Just been to seaview today over the high tide and had some good catches. There was a couple of work ups that moved along the beach and even a small school of kahawai only about 50 meters out riding the waves.

Caught a couple of small sharks and then a 2kg red cod then my partner caught a 2kg red cod and then i managed to hook and beach a big 3kg kahawia. Then to finished it all off after a massive work up of birds on bait fish went through my bait got slammed and a school shark put up a good fight managed to beach it, it weighing in at 8kg(which is now in the freezer), it seems that things have really hotted up out there as iv never seen the big work up of birds

Miliwolf
    Participant

I must of just missed you at seaview.

I saw 1 big workup and fished it but caught nothing, then I left to explore the upper awatere for fun.

When I left there was a group a distance to the south, and a a group of three in the middle with a umbrella.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Were u

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I was there around that time. I was down the far north end for a couple of hours.

yellowfin
    Participant

nice fish HLS

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was quite surprised how popular seaview is, I do believe that the beaches around Kekerengu, Clarence are more productive, especially for large sharks. I thought I saw a few people with large redcod down my end when I first arrived.

Today, before I went to seaview was. Spent several hours fishing about 2.5km south of the Kekerengu river and cafe. Landed a large tope which resulted in me breaking one of my rods. Was very rough down there compared with seaview. But shortly after the tope a large pod of dolphins turned up and I suspect they would of been hunting or atleast scaring the fish. The babies were cute.

I would have to purchase a couple more rods if I am to enter the competition. I have never fished at blind river before, although I suspect it would be simalar to the saltlakes.

The Kaikouria Surfcasting comp is on the 13th, if I remember correctly.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Oh yea when i asked them they had a few good sized red cod aswell but the main catch for them were the usual for the daytime there consisting mainly of small spinys. And yip the seaview has become very popular over the past few years especially with the increase in vineyards in that area and it usually has asian fisherman on most weekends occupying some time. several years ago tho when i first started fishing it i used to go by many fishing trips where i was the only one on the beach which was great as it allowed me to choose the better parts of the beach to fish which are usually just left of the car park (where the locals were with the motor bike)

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.