Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant
    How come you posted twice? Did you mean to edit the first post?
    Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

it was the first time ive had my surf caster out since kaikourai think so was a lildissapointed to

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might go down to the three fords for a cast sometime this afternoon.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went fishing at the lake grassmere intake… there was a bunch of guys fishing on the pier when I got there. They had around half a dozen skates and a red cod.

I went a bit further down the beach and fished for a couple of hours but caught nothing.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi i fish this area often myself and find it amazing how people are attracted to the pier, i find though that the best place here is just to the south past the small tower and down to where there is a slight gut in the beach. Here i have caught fish everytime ive been there, species being Rig, Skate, Red cod, School sharks and spinys, and all of the times have not been that ideal in fishing terms ie usually has been during the day. Hope this helps mili.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Would check it out. I believe someone was fishing at the spot you mention when I was there.

After leaving the peir, I followed a ‘sand road’ heading to the north and it ended at same cliffs. Thought that it looked much better then the pier for fishing. A more varied sea bed for starters. Have you tried that spot?

tracknz
    Participant

Just got in from the pier at brighton. Caught my first rig for the season. About 6kg so fresh fish for tea tonight.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea tried it once but there was a big swell running and cross wind so didnt last long but otherwise i would say yip its a good spot for sure and ur right about the sea bed variation it looks good at low tide sometimes the waves almost apear to dance as they sweep over the number of small sand bars so would be good fishing. Id say a west or west nor west aind and this particular spot would be supreme eveing place to fish.

One other thing to when the wind is more northerly it tends to swing through the cook strait and blow right in here and is very hard to fish just a word of advice if you were not already aware.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to timaru today. It looks like the fishing is picking up there. First thing I caught was a reasonable sized carpet shark (pics below). Didn’t catch much after that, but I saw a few mullet following my bait up, so I decided to try catch a few. Ended up only getting two good sized ones. Just as I was packing up, I hooked up to a big Red Cod, so I will probably be going back next weekend to try catch some more.

yellowfin
    Participant

What was the shark size? and was it caught off the wharf??

yellowfin
    Participant

Not sure of the exact size, and yes It was caught off the wharf. It didnt look very healthy but I removed the hook and threw it back.

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like some other fish has tried to eat it at some point.

I’ve caught two carpet sharks, 85cm and 90cm. They’re fatter than the other small sharks, but still not that heavy. The two I got both had eggs inside them.

The fishing at the pier is still pretty average, it’s a long time between bites most days. In the last few weeks I’ve seen red cod, barracouta,

yellowfin
    Participant

If there are a lot of barracouta around at the pier I might go up and try get a few. Do you know if there are many Kahawai and Mullet around there?

yellowfin
    Participant

I haven’t seen anything caught in good numbers at the pier lately.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.