Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

Id say ud prob wanna steer clear of a dead seal if theres a few people about at the time.I mean they are protected arent they? you wouldnt want DOC or MAF spotting ya takin to a seal with a knife dead or not.I guess it would be no different than trying to fillet a dead dolphin lol

If there wasnt anyone around,id prob grab the gaff n drag it back to the water.(berley) :D

yellowfin
    Participant

Sevengillz
    Participant

oh well atleast thats 1 less seal cleaning up the fish stocks in that area.

yellowfin
    Participant

I suppose there main diet would be Yellow eyed mullet

Sevengillz
    Participant

I read somewhere that a full grown fur seal eats about 20kg of fish per day! thats alot of mullet.alot of any fish really.

Imagine a few hundred seals on the east coast of the south island each eating 20kg of fish per day :?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I spent a good amount of today surfcasting south of Wards beach but before the needles. There is a long sandy beach with little kelp and snags.

I caught nothing. A few ‘possible baits’, and one possible fish on. A fairly nice area but was not overly productive.

Sevengillz
    Participant

how did you get there? I thought ward beach was about as close to the needles as you could get,without a long as walk along the beach….:?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I drove to ward beach. Crossed the river in my 4wd and parked on the edge of the beach.

I put my pack on, took my rods out then started walking. 10-15 minutes later I left the rocky kelpy shoreline and rounded a point and got to a 2km long sandy beach with the needles in the distance.

So a bit of a walk but nothing difficult. If you do not own a 4wd then it is a 20 minute walk.

Probably would take 40 minutes to get to the needles themselves.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Me and Greg went mullet fishing again yesterday.

Greg got a big mullet which is going into the mullet champs. He also caught a small salmon (put back) and a rainbow trout (took home for the cat).

We got alot of other mullet with me getting some big ones aswell but not the size greg got! Greg also got an eel later in the day but put that back to.

“>

Greg with his big yellow eyed mullet, 600 grams! 37cm long!

“>

What Greg took home, big mullet (bottom) and rainbow trout (middle) and another mullet (top) for the cat. Surprisinlgy the salmon and rainbow trout were caught on bait! Just plain old pilly or it might’ve been mackerel.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

lol look at the big mullets eye looking at the rod

Sevengillz
    Participant

hell they are huge!

yellowfin
    Participant

nah

Sevengillz
    Participant

I checked out the needles on google earth,doesnt actually seem to be a helluva lot of places to fish from at the needles themselves but Id say needles beach (south of the point) would definatly be worth a look.Only thing is it looks like the only way you can get there without crossing private property is to walk from the mouth of the Uere river.Hmmm maybe time to invest in a four wheeler :D

Sevengillz
    Participant

They are big compared to the ones you normally see at the river mouths around here.The mud flats in the sounds is prob where biggest ones come from up these ways

yellowfin
    Participant

oh yup yea

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.