Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

i usually use this for lyttelton but you can get anywhere in

St_Paul
    Participant

had a crack out at birdlings yesterday arvo, couple of doggies around 75cm and one kahawai that managed to get off by leaping about close in and throwing the hook.
    Had a few casts at wakanui today got bitten off twice by something toothy and didn’t have the steel trace in my pack (Bugger!!) suspect it was a seven giller or large schoolie given the nature of the bite and the damage to the 80lb trace.

I use the software from http://www.wtides.com/ to get my tide data, it also gives best bite times based on sun/moon etc. They are pretty spot on too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Seven Gillers at Wakanui beach sounds interesting since it’s only 5 or 10 minutes down the road from me. I might have a go at catching some mullet if its really calm and sending out a livebait. I dunno if I will have much luck with Kahawai there. I heard they are caught closer to the river.

yellowfin
    Participant

How legal would it be to cut open a dead seal and throw it into the sea for burley to attract the sharks? I don’t know if I would even want to do it but there is a dead seal that is freshly dead at wakanui beach that would be great to attract the sharks

yellowfin
    Participant

I have heard of people doing it with sheep so I can’t see there is much difference

St_Paul
    Participant

As long as you haven’t killed the seal it should be legal, would probably work fine, you could cut off a chunk to use as bait too

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone been fishing off Timaru wharf lately? Any catches? Never been there yet, but

yellowfin
    Participant

I havn’t been to Timaru for a while. Last two times I went to

St_Paul
    Participant

Hey Zac,
    have you tried salted mullet for bait? thats what I got most of my bites on today.
    Fillet your mullet and pack them in sea salt in an icecream container for at least 3 days. works a treat.

yellowfin
    Participant

No, I havn’t tried that yet. So you just put them in an Ice Cream container with normal salt?

yellowfin
    Participant

Do you freeze them or what

St_Paul
    Participant

the way I usually do it is to fold up a layer of newspaper in the bottom of the container, add a layer of sea salt (NOT iodised) add a layer of mullet fillets, more salt, another layer of newspaper etc continue on with this process untill the container is full. Pop the lid on and put it somewhere cat proof for 3-4 days, then remove from the salt.
    basically the salt sucks the moisture out of the mullet and the newspaper soaks it up.
    once preserved by the salt the fillets can be put in the freezer and taken out/put back whenever you want to go fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the tip

St_Paul
    Participant

No worries, should catch up for a fish sometime when I’m down that way

yellowfin
    Participant

[quote:1gdggpqy]you could cut off a chunk to use as bait too

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.