Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

What is the sea fishing like over at mokihinui?

Thought about going there myself the odd time but was never organised enough. Plus the swells always look so big compared with the East Coast. Did throw a couple of lines in the water at Karamea once but that was it,

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a surfcast tonight. I caught a 12lb elephant, AJ a 10lb and our mate a 7lb ele. Got a fridge full of fish! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

“>
    “>

12lb Elephant caught on a Black Magic 5/0 ledger Rig, used Squid tentacles as bait.

Disconnected
    Participant

Nice fish Shark_Tale where was it caught? what bait etc?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Went down to the beach last nite (tuesday) for a couple of hours 730pm to 9pm (started to get sick of catching the red cod which came on the bite strong so headed home right on dark), caught heap more spinys, 1 skate, 5 red cod (of which two were caught on one cast), and a nicely conditioned 15lb rig.

Bait- pilchard, red cod, squid, cooked prawn, raw prawn (taken by the rig).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice rig, Been a while since I have caught a Dogfish.

Avoiding Seaview and fish based baits is probably the main reason.

Miliwolf
    Participant

HLS I believed you caught a few Gurnard from Seaview a few years back. Was wondering what time of year and conditions lead to their capture?

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i usually go over for the 10 day comp as well although this year not going to will be heading to karamea instead. the fishing at mokinuihi is usually not too bad. congers snapper kahawai mullet cod various sharks and all other kinda of fish really are caught also the comp from memory is also fresh water as well so has a trout section in it. although havnt been sure if its still going due to the pub burning down.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

So a very rare catch. Would not attempt to target them from that area.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yip very rare, both were surprise and unexpected catches.

elmo22
    Participant

just got back from spencer park,got 2 eles 1 small and 1 about 8lb and a small red cod, half tide coming in sea pretty flat pips for bit, approx 2hours fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

how do you go about fishing at spencer? do you wade out a bit before you cast or what? because that beach from memory is very shallow and a long distance out it can only be up to your waist i think it would be alot like pines and kairaki. if theres a fair few eles round i may have to try one of them since they are 5min away

elmo22
    Participant

yer i wade out about waist deep and then throw out, i wear a wet suit or waders but feel safter in wetsuit ,am about to go down there now and try again, should still be reasonable flat with this north/west wind

yellowfin
    Participant

is it still nw?? doesnt seem like it is up here in kaiapoi or if it is its not as gusty as it was earlier

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.