Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I got my first elephant fish too, that was my main goal for this season, got four of them today. Biggest was about 80cm and 5kg. I’ll have to think of a new goal – catching 5 blue cod from my kayak perhaps.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

What distance from sure do you guys think your catching these eles and what are the conditions like when you catch these?. I ask out of interest as im trying to work out if there is any conditions that suit to catching these fish so that i can try and pinpoint an area up here in marlborough that may well hold them. any advice appreciated. thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Shingle beach, not super steep – they should be around sandy beaches but are probably further out. I was wading out a bit and casting as far as I can (which isn’t far), I’d say somewhere in the range of 70-100m from the shore. The sea was fairly gentle and the water turned from brown to green only 50m out, and it’s around spawning time.
    The best times should be around dusk and dawn but I got mine from early to mid afternoon.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been told they mainly feed at dawn, hence the reason for my 4am start.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Good stuff Danny and Steve! What type of setup were you using Danny? Bait etc etc……

Went to the Pier yesterday evening and met up with Rob (tracknz) and PierMaster (Andrew), fishing was fairly slow to begin with then around 11pm or so it heated up. I didn’t get anything for the evening but PierMaster (got 5 or 6 rig! lost one) and Rob (1 rig, better then my 0 count! LOL) certainly taught me the simple things to do to get rig. Andrew got a really big one at one point but it got off close to the beach while going to beach it, oh well..next time! Had a great time guys, look forward to fishing again sometime soon. :)

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

bait was tua tua (like pipi but a slightly different species) and cooked prawn for bait – the tua tua was more popular.

ledger rig with two baits, 3/0 and 4/0 beak hooks, with an additional smaller hook to help hold the prawn on.

50lb mono trace – this was starting to look a bit beaten up towards the end – thicker would be better, or possibly even wire.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was using a Black Magic Snapper ledger rig, 5/0 with squid. Although I only fished for about an hour we were getting more bites only just over the breakers rather than casting out as far out as possible, there my bait wasnt touched. Will try to head out after work sometime this week, swell and weather permitting.

yellowfin
    Participant

They do get pretty big:

http://www.petelambfishing.co.nz/index. … itstart=10

Do they get up to this big in Canterbury??

yellowfin
    Participant

i say they would

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Thanks for the know guys regards your fish catching methods, iv got an inkling of suspicion now that the fish the daughter had on on friday may well have been one of these as it was a small piece of squid just beyond the breakers with a 10 foot rod bit of a bugger if it was, only the sea knows what it was!

And heres a sample of the trevally that were caught yesterday (sunday) they were just legal (but the main thing is they were legal!)

yellowfin
    Participant

nice are you keeping them for bait??? or going to eat them??? i have heard they are rather good to eat i suspect for smoking

Yakkaman
    Participant

Well done booger geez they are ugly fish mother slapped them round and shoved a flap on there face so they wouldn’t get a boyfriend

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Miliwolf
    Participant

I believe Sevengillz caught them in the Kenepuru once, I never seen them myself.

[b:1dexwlg3]Trip Report[/b:1dexwlg3]

Went down to the Cliffs. (Some bugger has completely ripped up the access road) Got there around 7pm, there was a light offshore wind with a frequent chop but I would not call the sea rough. It was dirty.

Fished three rods, baits were Prawn, Cooked Prawn and Mussel. Caught no fish, had no strikes. Something was stealing the bait (sea lice?, Crabs?). Started to rain around 9:30pm so went home

High tide: 9:15pm
    Sea Temp: 15.2
    Sunset: 8:43 pm
    Moon: New

elmo22
    Participant

hi everyone been reading this site for a couple of months now, so thought I would join..I do a bit of surfcasting at spencer park , south rakaia, bayleys beach and taramuta. We go over to mokihinui every year to the ten day fishing comp.havnt been out yet as have been chasing the whitebait but will get into it now

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.