Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Its really a intake for the salt works.. It is basically two meter wide platforms which go 20-30m out into the sea. The two platforms are separated by about 2m of water, one of them has railings. Normally very crowded.

I personally feel it is better to fish off the beach, mainly because many fish feed just behind the first breaker. The only reason I spend time at the pier is to catch crabs.

Species I have caught, or seen caught from around the pier

Common
    Lemon fish
    Red Cod
    Dogfish
    Tope (small-medium)
    Kahawai
    Skate

Rare
    Moki (one)
    Conger (one)

Heard of but not seen
    Snapper
    Gurnard

If you plan on going this far north, continue on for another hour and fish the sounds. That way you would have a good chance of catching Snapper, Gurnard, trevally and eagle rays. The species which frequent around the saltworks are no different to what you catch further south.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well this summer I’ll mainly be after rays/sharks. Smaller species really don’t interest me that much anymore, they’re more just for bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Rays hit the shallows in either of the sounds. Caught heaps in the grove arm last summer. Would also catch Snapper, gurnard and trevally while targeting them.

For sharks, try around the 3 fords or the mouth of the Washdyke stream (they very close to each other)… Last summer I normally got around 3-5 big sharks (combination of sevengillers and topes) in 2-4hrs over high tide there. Infact, anywhere between the mouth of the Clarence and Kekerengu River mouth would be worth a try, the places I listed have easy access.

For even bigger sharks, need to find the bronzies in the outer sounds. Can not offer much advice.

For kingfish, I would probably try off the rocks around Hori Bay, or maybe walk around the coast out of cable bay.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the pier on sat afternoon, fished for about 3ish hours, few KY were being caught.

gunnercoops
    Participant

A mate went to pier last night and got a school shark + doggies, saw a couple of KY caught. Got bitten off by something “big”.

yellowfin
    Participant

big dogfish

PierMaster
    Participant

according some asian guy on sat arvo i got a mako lol

Yakkaman
    Participant

I never knew you had asian friends especially those that talk up your fishing “Mako” next one will be great white 2ft long weighing 300lbs :roll:

PierMaster
    Participant

it was a kahawai lol the guy keeps goin oh mako good siza mako! im like huh mako wtf r u on about mate? kinda had to be there to be funny haha

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

HookLineSinker
    Participant

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Snapper fish .

Arrived at the DOC campground in Moetapu bay. I got there shortly after 6pm, three rods into the water. 1 baited with Razor clams, 1 with Pilchard and 1 with squid. This is a nice looking spot, it is possible to fish rods on either side of a small point, or walk out to the point itself. I feel this spot is probably best fished with a couple of boat rocks for off the point and a longer rock or two from the beach. Heaps of casting room.

It does involve a short walk to get there which is a bit of a pain. So its not a place to fish when the weather is bad and you want to sit in the car while waiting for bites. In saying that, if the wind is to cold one side of the little point should be more sheltered then the other.

The fishing was slow, A few nibbles to start with (probably spotties). After dark next to nothing. Last bait out of the water around 9:45pm. Very pleasant evening after dark and the water cleared a bit when the wind died down.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to the sounds for the weekend.

Conditions were pretty crap all weekend. Wind from the north and then the south.

Hit up titirangi on friday. Got our limit of bluecod and a tarakihi. Also got a skate, some carpet sharks and dogfish.. Only 1 spottie, 1 kahawai and no snapper yet..

Went out on the boat on saturday out of tory channel. Conditions were pretty poor got a couple of fish. nothing decent.

PierMaster
    Participant

Went to the pier last night for a rig fish, caught 3, had about another 10 hits
    These are the first rig that i know of off the pier :)

<a href="“>
    <a href="“>

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome. I was planning on going up to the Pier this weekend but not sure on the weather yet. Still have to make a crab catcher for some crabs. Hopefully the school sharks will start getting bigger, and the seven gillers will start to show up by the end of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.