Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

It has been my best season since the family boat was sold. In saying that, I have been spending less time chasing trout and spearfishing…. But I have also put more trips in this summer then previously, often going fishing 3-4 times a week.

I caught more Gurnards kayak fishing last year…

yellowfin
    Participant

I can’t really say if this season has been better for me or not. I definitely fished a lot of new and different places, and I caught some fairly good fish. Also landed my first sevengiller, first barracouta, first skate, first rig, so really it hasn’t been a bad season.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a trip down the sounds :dude:

I arrived at my spot in the Kenepuru around 4:30pm, I was in a aggravated mood because I was stuck behind a slow driver who refused to pull over to allow me past.

A short steep walk is required to reach the beach, but I soon had my first rod in the water. Followed by a second and third…

My Kilwell GGX and Okuma Axeon were baited with pilchard chunks and the Solaris had squid. Then the waiting began… there was enough wind to be chilly at times and it was quite overcast, often looking like it was threating to rain.

The fishing was slow, I caught a couple of large snails and a spottie or two…. As dusk approached the air grew wetter but my morale was boosted when I saw a splash then the tip of my Axeon went crazy for 3 seconds before nothing….

It grew dark and started to rain, I did not have my rain jacket with me…. Then after dark my kilwell GGX bent over and started peeling line, Snapper I thought but the pull was to long, then I realized it was my friend Mr Ray.

A 5 maybe 10 minute tag-o-war started and I slowly gained line, I barely noticed the rain, until I got the Ray in the Shallow. It was much bigger then the previous ones I have caught. I noticed it was foul hooked in the tail and after a few attempts managed to free that hook. But it was still hooked in the mouth, I decided the ray was to heavy and cut my rig in half.

This was shortly followed by a Mullet and nothing else. I stopped fishing around 9pm. High tide was around 8pm.

Miliwolf
    Participant

This is what I have achieved so far…

First Sevengiller,
    Personal Best Tope
    First landed based Snapper
    Personal best Snapper
    Personal best Rig
    First Ray
    First Trevally

Yakkaman
    Participant

Just got back from the pier surf is calm and heaps of doggies being caught between myself and another guy looks like it will go off later.

Also a fish as caught chunky oval silver with balck spot behind gill what is this?

rdeejay
    Participant

sounds like a tarakihi

Yakkaman
    Participant

I thought t looked like one but from the Pier?

Maybe it got lost

Miliwolf
    Participant

Does sound like a tarakihi, it must have gotten lost. Last place I would expect to catch one..

Went for a evening fish in the grove arm, Fished from 5pm-9:30pm. Gentle breeze and blue sky. High tide around 9pm.

Fishing was quite slow, first caught a few spottie, then a Trevally just before dusk. A pod of dolphins turned up and a couple did a jump display very close to the wharf. Hooked a Ray, during the fight the dolphins turned up and I suspect they might of scared the ray into shore, so the fight ended quite quickly…. Around dusk caught a couple of small KY.

After dark no worthwhile fish were caught, upon retrial of my last rod I discovered a big garfish / piper was flapping around on the beach beside… I caught it in my hand then released it. Have no idea how it got onto the beach, it might have been lightly hooked and I swang it onto land without realizing, or might it got a fright and simply got grounded… So caught my first Piper :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yakkaman

Miliwolf
    Participant

Going to target Moki this weekend near the blue slip. Would probably try to fish 5pm-10pm. Would have one rod for Sharks, one for Moki and one for the Lemons :)

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished Birdlings again today, swell was favourable but the NW was gusty at times, incoming tide and caught 13 dogfish!! arghhh, all released. Locals turned up later in the day with the torpedo kontiki and sent it on its way but i didn’t stick around to see what they landed.

yellowfin
    Participant

It seems the good fishing is really over. The massive schools of dogfish are probably all that’s around. I suppose the Red cod will start to turn up soon, but other than that there’s not really much reason to go fishing over winter.

Simon
    Participant

Does anyone know if the rays stick around during winter? I cant be bothered with hauling dogfish, but I dont want to give up fishing just yet….

yellowfin
    Participant

I think in certain areas they are still around, but I’ve never caught one myself over winter. I’m hoping there will be some around when I go up to Invercargill/Bluff over Easter. I think if you look on some websites it will tell you the areas they inhabit in certain seasons.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I know that Skates are still around over winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.