Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Never caught a crab or had any problems with them stealing my bait off the Timaru wharf, so I’m not really sure there’s even any there.

rdeejay
    Participant

Fished at birdlings today, caught 5 good sized dogfish and one school shark in quite a short time, didn’t stay for very long as the swell just got too big and my line was getting caught up on massive clumps of kelp, made worse by the swell ripping it all my line back out with the kelp in tow, so was near impossible to get my line etc back in but i perservered and got it in each time. Also decided it was fun to go swimming ..well actually not really, while trying to grab the kelp a big damn wave decided to send a heap of water my way really quickly and over i went! god i felt like a dick lol

rdeejay
    Participant

Also on the way back from birdlings going back via gebbies valley i caled into governors bay for a nosey along the jetty, was low tide and was suprised to see heaps of eels swimming around and one huge sucker head down feeding in the sand estimated size of around 10-15 kilos, also heaps of crabs on the mud flats but out of reach to get any as the sand is a big bog at low tide.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down the big shark beach today, but there was a bunch of people with several cars fishing Sevengillers spot.

So drove further south and set up my rods, I arrived around 11:30am and fished until 2am. High tide was around 2am.

There was a few big swells today but little rain, towards the end of my trip the southerly did turn up and bring a little wind and rain.

I fished two rods with two baits, one had red cod, the other had KY. The KY rod was the first to show action, and I eventually landed a sevengillers which was easily released. Returned to my rod stands and pulled in my other rod which was also showing a bit of movement, only a bit of kelp this time.

Threw out my KY bait again and quickly had another sevengiller on. This one took me a good distance down the beach, and upon beaching I discovered it was deeply hooked. After a few attempts I decided I had to make the walk back to my bag to get my hook removing tools…. During this period the shark returned to the sea.

Upon return I re-landed the shark, but then it was quite weak. I could not see the hook so had to use the pliers to remove the bait. My hand was quite a way inside the mouth during that process :shock: , it closed its mouth at one stage giving me 10 or so small cuts , I finally located the hook but the pliers were not really long enough so decided to use the de-hooker which worked well.

By this stage the seven giller was quite weak looking, I contemplated bringing it home but did not have the energy to carry it back to my car. So I wished it the best of luck before returning it to the sea and watching it swim weakly away. I hope it survives because it was bleeding a bit. Normally when a fish bleeds I keep it.

threw the rods back out and caught a good size red cod which I released. I then decided to head for home.

So the big sharks are still about if anyone wants to target them :)

yellowfin
    Participant

It can be annoying when a shark swallows the hook or get’s hooked deeply. This is the main reason a lot of people now use large circle hooks when targeting sharks. I’ve found with some types of circle hooks the fish will pick up the bait but not get hooked, or If I do hook it, I’ll loose it easily in the surf. I spent ages last week trying to remove a hook from a Carpet shark, but after a while I had to kill it because it wouldn’t keep it’s mouth open for me to get the hook out.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, but it swallowed the large Circle hook. They do not work all the time.

Still have not caught a carpet shark… Maybe I should go down to south Canterbury and target them.

yellowfin
    Participant

I caught like ten over 2007 – 2008 season mostly using rigs that had the bait sitting on the bottom, and dogfish bait works really well for them. I’m sure they catch them further north as well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s weird you’ve only had 2 dogfish this entire season, yet I’ve had so many I can’t even count. Like at Rangitata yesterday I would cast, and before I could even wind up the slack line I’d have a dogfish on. They can really ruin the fishing sometimes.

yellowfin
    Participant

I havent caught a single doggie this summer!!Although that might have something todo with the fact that i did most of my fishing before xmas.

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Who cares about the size, a dogfish is a dogfish. But who knows, with the decreasing population of other species of fish, one day a big dogfish could be a prized catch or winner of competitions.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do not include small fish because they can be to much of a pain to keep track off and I normally do not bother to ID them properly before release.

I really should of taking my wire cutters with me and cut the hook in half, would have been much easier on the sevengiller :cry: . Going to make myself a surfcasting belt which would hold a bait container, Cotton, Pliers, De hookers , knife and wire cutters :)

So if a fish takes me away from my gear I would have everything with me for a quick release :idea:

Something like this
    https://fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting-carry-belt.htm

rdeejay
    Participant

Too right about the dogfish zac, Birdlings was like that on friday, throw the line out, go off and yak to the missus for a bit go back to the line and feel a lot of weight on there and bingo bring it in and theres a big doggie. I use recurve hooks and never had a problem with swallowed hooks, they have always done as they are supposed to do and roll and lip hook everything i’ve caught.

Yakkaman
    Participant

This has been the best season for catching fish, i have had more sucess in the salt walter i total reverse than last year as most were trout and canal salmon.

Thx to everyone for there advice and keep up the good threads. :grin:

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.