Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down the coast to scout out a new spot. When I arrived there was a unpleasant wind blowing. First line was in the water around 4pm, had three rods one with mussel, one with KY or Red Cod and the last had paddle crab.

After a while, the rod which was baited with KY bent over and starting releasing line. Typical of a good sized shark. There was heaps of fight in the fish, eventually I caught a glimpse and it was to dark to be a tope, and even a sevengiller. I must be onto a ray I thought. A few more minutes and I got a positive ID of a ray. Was a while before I managed to land it. Not certain on what species it is, could of been skate. Had a large club like tail covered in spikes with a head similar to a eagle ray. Was a good sized fish.

Continued to fish into the night, no further fish. I started fishing two rods with mussels but no sign of Moki. Was back in the car heading home at 9pm.

yellowfin
    Participant

If it had a really rough sort of tail it was most likely a Skate, since there is only really two types of Rays that could be caught around the area you’re fishing, and neither have and bumps etc on their tails. Also I think skates and rays are a different family of fish.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/educatio … or_ray.htm

I also went out to Wakanui for just under an hour to fish. After catching a constant supply of dogfish I gave up and headed home. I definitely wont be going surfcasting again any time soon. Might try the Wharf at Timaru or the Pier once the Red cod show up.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I think it was a good size Skate. Only seen small ones before. Was probably around 20-30lb, but that is just a guess.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I normally stop fishing the saltwater once the Red Cod show up :), I am hoping to get 1 more month of good fishing before it starts to decline.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I decided to go to the wharf at Timaru today. Got there, fished a couple hours, and caught nothing.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Any chances of getting in a fish for me have gone out the window with harvest in full swing about to go into night work at around 70hrs a week.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am over doing ‘vintage’ work. Once the nets are off the grapes I normally take my annual leave :grin:

Still managed to go find time to go trout fishing despite 12hr shifts in a winery a few years back. They really should harvest the grapes in the middle of winter, that way vintage would not clash with the peak fishing time.

yellowfin
    Participant

I know its kinda cheating.

But, we took the flounder drag net down to the ashley river mouth on sunday.
    Got 13 flounders seen plenty of mullet. Was a few asians down there cathing mullet.

Good day out :)

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m planning on going up to the Pier in the morning to fish for a bit. Probably a waste of time, as I can guess it will only be dogfish and small schoolies around. Most of the kahawai/mullet are probably gone, and I can’t see much else being around. If there is anything about I might stay till dark and try for some red cod if they’re around yet.

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the Pier today from about lunch time through to around 8.30 PM. Still a good amount of mullet around, also a few small kahawai. I caught a couple dogfish, and saw one or two small schoolies and a baby elephant fish caught. I heard there’s still some rig around as well.

rdeejay
    Participant

I fished Birdlings, was plagued by dogfish, no one else was catching anything until much later when one other guy turned up and saw him catch a couple of doggies and a red cod. Got snagged up twice on the sea bed so had to stop fishing due to lack of heavy sinkers. Got chatting to a guy in the car park area as it turns out it was gunnercoops from here so good to be able to catch up with others from here.

yellowfin
    Participant

What were the conditions like? There was a bit of a swell at Brighton, but the weather wasn’t too bad throughout the day, and the wind died down once it got dark.

rdeejay
    Participant

Light swell, with the main breaker from half to one meter wave height above the swell so still quite fishable, wind was calm.
    On another note some people have no damn sense out there sometimes, one stupid kid was getting too close to the breaker had his back to the sea then i saw a big rogue wave roll up behind him he turned saw it and ran but he got hammered and the wash went right over him luckily he didnt get pulled back but you think he cared that he got flattened and wet? nup And its not the first time i’ve seen people such as asian tourists who pull in on the buses not having any respect for the power of the sea there.

yellowfin
    Participant

I think things like that need to be more clearly outlined. I know at Wakanui beach, there’s a sign saying no swimming, but I haven’t seen anything like that at a lot of other beaches. I’m surprised more people haven’t been washed out to sea from Canterbury beaches. I’ve seen kids at Wakanui beach sitting down and playing in the waves and nearly gotten sucked all the way back in with the backwash. Not long after that a local fisherman contacted the newspaper and there was an article about it all. Some people don’t know how strong the waves can be, and even if you get a wave hit you and go up to your knees it can be enough to knock you off your feet, and before you can get back up you can easily enough get sucked back in.

rdeejay
    Participant

Well i know there is a no swimming sign at the first car park, i think it should state more than that, i mean you’d have to be mad to wan’t to go swimming there anyway it’s the people who get too close to the breakers that i watch. I’ve been knocked off my feet there a rouge wash came about 15 meters up the beach at an amazing speed so big or small as i’m 6′ 4 the sea doesn’t care.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.