Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Dorie beach this afternoon from about 4.30 – 8.30. Was pretty crap, lots of dogfish as usual. Was even hooking small dogfish on a whole mullet on a 8/0 hook. Got one small school shark and a average skate before I packed up. Saw another person there fishing like 6 rods, but only saw them catching dogfish. Planning on heading to Birdlings flat this weekend, probably Saturday. Forecast is for some Nor westerlies, so hopefully it’ll be calm enough.

Edit: Forecast isn’t saying Nor Westerlies anymore.

St_Paul
    Participant

Have been skiving off down the diversion at lunchtime with the fly rod, heaps of kahawai about. haven’t had the surf rods out in a while.

yellowfin
    Participant

dusted off the rods last night and went for a fish never caught a rig before so tried targeting them with cooked prawn tails worked a treat caught a very respectable 9.5kg rig

Miliwolf
    Participant

Maybe I should find time to get down the diversion one day, been a couple of times this summer but never caught anything (bigger then a mullet). Are the KY in the river itself or still out in the surf near the mouth?

Had two unsuccessful kayaking trips into the sounds, nice weather but no Snapper. Small KY are fairly common. Heading down to Kaikoura tomorrow for a Kayak then might stop at the sharks on the way home.

yellowfin
    Participant

Got up around 4am this morning to go for a Kingfish of Bp. We where 2nd boat in the water and we had near perfect conditions. As this was our first time out and its still pretty early in the season for them this south we werent expecting much. Didnt catch any today hooked up a few barracuda on light tackle which was fun. Saw one, talked to another boatie out there and it sounded that there is now starting to be a few about.

So things are looking bright for the next couple months! :)

The sunrise

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to Birdlings Flat for the first time today. Fished from about 12.30 PM – 7 PM. Was a really nice day, sea was really calm. It was so calm at one stage that there were hardly any noticeable waves. Water was really clear as well. Thought I’d try for some Yellow Eyed Mullet first, so casted a trace out with small hooks and only ended up catching two tiny dogfish. Apart from another tiny dogfish(under 20 cm) I hooked on a whole mullet on 10/0 hook, I didn’t catch anything at all, not even a bite. Didn’t see anyone else catch anything either. Was going to stay till it started getting dark, but the wind came up quite strong.

For a calm day and perfect conditions I thought I’d at least catch some mullet. Haven’t had a day so crap fishingwise for a while. Maybe it was just to calm?

rdeejay
    Participant

I also fished birdlings on saturday as well, had absolute rubbish luck catching only 2 small rigs whiched lived to fight another day, saw 2 nice sized kahawai and a barracouta landed by 2 guys near me and a few other tiny doggies. Tide was pretty low compared to when i fished there for the first time last friday, had to sit up on the top of the shingle bank it was that high up, but being my first time there i wasnt sure what to expect with tide heights there, sea also looked really dark green compared to today. Caught a 10 pound 70cm elephant fish and 2 decent sized rigs and little dogfish that day though so pretty hacked off i couldn’t emulate that success.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from Salty, Got there at 6am and fished until 9am.

Sea was rough and dirty, the clean water was out of sight. High tide was around 6:30am.

Caught a Red cod on pilchard bait and had a couple of maybe strikes on my crab baits.

Now getting ready for a Shark mission this afternoon :)

yellowfin
    Participant

rdeejay, what part of the beach were you at? Seemed most people were fishing in front of the car park area, and some others were further up down the other end. Were the barracouta and Kahawai caught on spinners? Also what time did you fish till?

St_Paul
    Participant

Kahawai are both at the mouth and up river a couple hundred meters, fly has been out catching spinners and baits by at least 6:1.
    Haven’t used the spinning rod for a while, but have found that you will catch more fish on a 20 gram ticer than the larger sizes most of the time.

Might have a crack off rarangi with the surf gear this afternoon. have seen a couple of nice snaps caught off there this year.

Had a nosey at the Awatere mouth last week on my way back from kaikoura, has anyone fished there? looked OK but was big swell and on-shore wind so didn’t look good for fishing at the time.

I gave up fishing birdlings as never seemed to catch much there, found baileys beach the better option. and even wakanui which would save you a heap in petrol money zac

rdeejay
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

South Rakaia and Dorie beach may be worth a try. In the past Dorie has been the best place I’ve fished for big School sharks, although this year seems to be more small ones about. Lots of skate and rig around this area as well. Nape Nape is also good, and about the same distance from Christchurch as Birdlings etc depending on what part you’re in. Skate/Congers/Rig/Schoolies and even Gurnard caught there.

PierMaster
    Participant

Fished at brighton peir from 10pm till 7am on sat night not many fish caught but got a 6.5kg rig and my mate got bout a 8-8.5kg rig and other mate caught 7 small kahawai as the sun was coming up. Also lost bout a 4 1/2 ft schoolie about 6am trying to gaff it up pier but it snapped me off.

Miliwolf
    Participant

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from a trip down the coast, got there around 2:30pm and fished until 5pm. High tide was 5:30pm.

Fishing started slowly, with a possible missed sevengiller, then a few other rod bends which might of been fish. Eventually a moderate/small sevengill shark was landed, that was followed a while later by a second of similar size. Then a small one and finally a decent Tope Shark.

Sea was dirty in close but green a bit further out. Only a gentle breeze. Two sevengillers were taken on KY and the other fish took Red Cod.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.