Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Wakanui beach for a few hours this evening. But my bad luck continues with only small dogfish caught. Some people beside me caught a skate, but other than that, I didn’t see anything else caught. I’m sure this time last year there were loads of School sharks around. I was thinking maybe because of the calm conditions that other species aren’t coming in as close. I’ll probably head up to the Pier this weekend and fish the whole day on Saturday till dark, hopefully get some more mullet/kahawai for bait. Been trying to catch mullet, and spinning for kahawai, but just haven’t had any luck for a while.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

When out in the boat on Sat morning I saw a school of about 20 kahawai below some kelp, they were not large but moderately sized fish.

Snapper in Cloudy bay! Cool! Now for a Canterbury snapper, lol.

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

With the surface temperature so high this year if any is the time to try for a Canterbury Snapper.

Currently 17.5 at new Brighton which is only 1 degrees colder then the sounds, Snapper normally appear in northern waters when the temp gets above 16.

yellowfin
    Participant

funny you say that mili no more than half an hour ago aaron (jones jr) and i were saying the exact same thing that the water would be warm enough for snapper in canterbury! a guy i was talkion to down on the beach the other day reckons the sea temp is too warm hence why the fishing has died off? didnt really think that was possible but maybe it is

yellowfin
    Participant

I would believe that. With extremely calm conditions, warm water temperatures, and a lot of sunny weather, I can see that driving the fish into deeper, colder water. But then again, the water temps around Canterbury still aren’t has high as some other places where there are still plenty of fish around. Also warmer water temps usually means good fishing for some species.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea so its a difficult one maybe too warm for rig and eles? where as not to warm for bloody ky. but would be awesome to get a snapper

yellowfin
    Participant

Good possibility of a Kingfish around New Brighton – Taylor’s Mistake area as well.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats what i think. or they will be showing up again soon. hopefully along with some snaps

PierMaster
    Participant

went out to birdlings after work today, fished from 4pm till 8.40pm caught 15 mullet in the surf and got a nice sized schoolie bout 7kg
    caught some other smaller ones round the 3-4kg mark as well

got all the schoolies on fresh mullet

conditions were insanely nice, no wind, no swell, water bit murky but clearing
    made it realy easy to cast ages!

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds about the same as when I was there. It’s that calm you can walk right out to where the waves are just forming and cast really far out. Some people say in calmer conditions you don’t need to cast as far though, but still seems better getting that extra distance. PierMaster, you getting the mullet on Bonito? I haven’t had a mullet from the surf in a while, I’ve just been using squid/chicken heart, but I’m pretty sure chicken heart used to work well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to Cloudy bay for a fish, the sea breeze was a pain at first and combined with a large swell I quickly decided to change spots, so I move to the pine trees near Rarangi township, by then the sea breeze has settle and the waves were breaking slightly closer to shore allowing me to cast over them.

Used a range of baits but only the salted Bonito and Cockles would stay on the hook. My pilchards were just to soft. High tide was around 8:35pm and I fished from 7-9:10pm. Caught nothing.

I must remember only to fish Cloudy during a nor-wester.

PierMaster
    Participant

the mullet are easy to catch on calm days at birdlings they right in behind the swell like 1m or so just behind the breaker sometimes even in the swell yeah i was using tiny pieces of bonito but otherwise i use chicken heart

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah I’ve caught loads of them from other beaches using the same trace pretty much I was using at Birdlings. I tried casting out as far as I could, and then closer in just behind the breaker, but didn’t even get a single bite. Hooked quite a few of those really tiny dogfish though. Probably because I was using mostly squid for bait.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Where do you get your SST (Sea Surface Temperature) readings from Milli? I’ve got a temperature sensor on my sounder and I got 17.5 degree temps off Lyttleton, we were catching snapper in the sounds with those temps on show weekend! I guess it’s possible snapper could be out there, would leave it till the beginning of Feb till I’d have a crack at one.

Just a note there is a big marker buoy as you head out of Lyttleton Harbour, it’s back a little bit from the heads floating around in about 11m of water (13m ruffly at high tide). I’m thinking this would be a good place for kingfish to hang about. Anyone know if that would be the case? Allan, you may have heard stories?

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.