2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Dazza fished Bayleys spot-X this morning ….1 rig and 5 eles ..most caught between 8.20-9.30am ….sea was lumpy 4 footish with some much bigger sets at times …

oompalompa
    Participant

shark slayer  haha elmo..cheers guys…i was along kaitoriti spit hipp..all those baits will work fine but will be horribly outfished by chunks of paua..not essential tho..i caught the first one on raw prawn..a few on tuatua..squid..and cooked prawn is also the shizz…went out again today for twenty mins…water was dirty as..dumpy,choppy…sweet i thought..a good challenge..casted out a cooked prawn and after 5 mins i thought..nah need some scent..banged on a chunk of paua..3 mins later over goes the rod and line started peeling..after a few jumps and some line peeled a nice 8.5 lb cow ele was landed…the ele then taught me a few new lessons…lesson no1..ele spines hurt when they get jabbed in your chest.no 2.ele spines have barbs that allow them to swing from your chest when you let them go..no.3.when an ele falls from your chest onto its head..you have to keep it..haha wont be loosing concentration with the eles again..damn those spines hurt..wanted to let her go but she was buggered after landing on her head…went home a happy chappy..not bad for 20 mins fishing..the secret at the moment hipp is the incoming tide and from 12-5pm for some reason…short casts are also helping..just into good water does the job..i have had alot of empty days aswell but fish these times and fight through the crabs if you can and you will get rewarded…i assume you rented the cottage down near the bay off dave??he’s a nice old bloke..i should be there..might have to get you some cod and a few rig eh….

yeah, i met dave when i came and fixed his phone a while back, nice people! we love it there. Hipp , bring your wetsuit (if it fits) :dude: i made weight belt you can use. are you the hse with the firewood sharkslayer??

fishforpot
    Participant

Bayleys spot-X tonight ……
    I dont know if many of you guys follow the solar/lunar guide ? …..Major bite time was pretty accurate today

4-6pm was meant to be the best fishing … got there at 4.40pm , had an ele , 2 schoolies and 3 rig by 6pm and got nothing else until a small schoolie about 8.30 …

http://www.fishingreminder.com/

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff there fishforpot would of been a great night fishing and nice weather as well

fishforpot
    Participant

It was a lovely evening ….wanted to leave town around 2ish but the the temperature was insane …
    One thing I did notice , a brown/green tinge to the water way way off shore than gradually came into the beach and appeared to go as far as Birdlings ..It wasnt Rakia murk , maybe the lake was open ?? …it came from the South West …not sure if it had anything to with the fishing going dead but who knows

elmo22
    Participant

been looking at the maori calander the other night and have wrote down the bite times when we are away fishing,alot of diffence in some up to 1&1/2hrs from one to the other,some say poor the other says good ,they only give one time for bite time eg 2.30 where do you get the lunar bite time from as i like the idel of having a longer time frame like fishofrpot has posted 4.30—6.30 .

PierMaster
    Participant

Yeah that bite time seems pretty on the money, i fished the aerials out at birdlings from 5-8.30 caught school sharks but got some decent sized ones 50lb, 48lb, 12lb, 10lb and a few babies

fishforpot
    Participant

I posted a link some 6 posts above ……if you register “free” you get 7 days ahead ….

I poo poo’ed the whole thing for many years but it just keeps proving itself …..

Gotta remember tho , even bad fishing is better than no fishing ….especially if the wife isnt there to nag lol

Good effort Piermaster …I had a whole pilchard out on 1 rod hoping the daughter could catch Jaws …was the bait the ele was caught on ….missed 1 good strike on the same bait tho , it delaminated the steel trace some 3 inches above the bait , so whatever it was “assuming it took the whole bait into its mouth” was a decent size …

Did you notice that murky water drifting into the beach down your end ? …

PierMaster
    Participant

Was pretty clean where I was didnt notice any murky water

fishforpot
    Participant

Thinking back , it probably was close to high tide that the murk pushed right to the beach ….it wasnt mud , it was something else …
    I’d figure the fish were moving East towards you ….
    Just checked the ECan site , the lake is open ….that would be the water we saw …..wasnt much happening in it , but that could be coincidence

shark slayer
    Participant

been busy went away for a holiday ended up going to cape campbell..laptop went flat so couldn’t make any posts.na oompaloompa thats traceys house..mine is in the scrub out of veiw..good job peir master..i normally get good schoolys of the aerials aswel…yes ffp the ellesmere outlet was opened i think…great fishing at the cape..they have changed the bag limits and your only allowed 3 cod per day..has really helped they were so thick it was insane..drop to the bottom on the way down get a double hook up and five or so cod would follow up aswell..got our limit of crays for the two nights we set the pots…here are some photo’s..all around this size..2.5lb.

crays around the 2.2lb..small but good eating.
    went to my ele spot yesterday..one rod..one hook..one cast 8.5lb cowwent down again today..one cast one ele around 12lb on paua..got another digi cam today so will take a good photo and post later..gonna head down tommorrow for a cast and thats it for me i will start on the moki..cant be bothered with the idiots at bayleys..got no more quad bike it fucked out last week..that sting ray wound sounded nasty ffp..they take a long time to heal dont they??my ele wound is all good just some bad bruising…mite try for a moki tonight..would of gone for a moki fish mili but didnt end up going to ward..the commercial bulldozers have made a bank at the north end so we couldn’t launch..no quad bikes allowed on the beach now i see..were did you get your rig..halfway to the chancet??

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff shark slayer.looks like it was a good time away

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah Motorbikes were banned a few years back, hoons are partly to blame for ripping up the dunes, but also believe normal bike use might have been disturbing nesting birds. I still see fresh tyre tracks in the gravel….

You know the long gravel beach just before Chancet Rocks, I fished the end nearest to the carpark. (had a cold so did not have the energy to further) One rod was casted right next to the visible kelp covered rocks, the other two further along the beach. I want to fish the spot you suggested but would probably stay the night.

Giller
    Participant

good evening,went down to the maori church at taumutu tonight at 6pm.
    very clean,lumpy and confused swell and tide.Was coming from all sides.
    no bites on Pipi or crab after 2 hours so packed up and will try again in morning somewhere else .
    some guys turned up and put out there predator torpedo but left before we saw them bring it in.

shark slayer
    Participant

was heading past the beach on the way home so thought i would try get an ele on lite line…normally dont fish the evenings for them as i find it aint productive..tonight was no exception..shouldnt have bothered.. fished for an hour and a half nothing doing..others down there had no great catches that i saw..went down yesterday only planned on one cast but was waiting for someone i was gonna give some bait..first cast got an elle..next cast got an elle..wanted to let it go but the trace had wrapped on it and it was bleeding..next cast got a rig…thought i will have one more an if this dude aint here im out..got another ele..took a photo with my new camera and then rushed to release the ele..bent over to release it gently and out popped my brand new camera strait into the surf….f##k!man was i pissed..thats 4 cameras gone in a month or so..the ele kept washing up so i thought f##k it i will keep it.then the dude turned up and didnt need the bait so i waited for nothing…oh well should have gone home after 1 cast like i had planned..here is thursdays ele..

theres friays 3..7.5,8.3,and9.5lb….will catch one more on lite gear and hopefully release it and then i will leave them alone..caught way to many and have kept ten now its starting to get embarrising..ele bait was paua

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.