2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I was told it was the Iwi which negotiated the lower limits further south. I personally feel the ministry is very unmotivated to make any changes.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

Miliwolf

shark slayer
    Participant

what are you guys on about,netting and taking heaps has no effect on the fishery’s cos commercial guys do it,”aye paul”pffft haha.anyhow,went out yesterday..was insane got 8 ele’s in an hour..released 3 kept my bag limit and that is all i will take for the season..7,8.5,9.2,12and 15.5lb…shit did the big one take line or what,,was mouth hooked but fell out and foul hooke in the tail..took 10-15 mins to land…went back out today and caught and released 8..good times..here are the ones from yesterday..shit phone photos but i aint got a digi camera at the mo..
    last one is the biggy..looks alot smaller in photo tho..

elmo22
    Participant

well done u bugger was at rsa papanui looking after the fallen its me now fallan for u good ph0t0s greatb photos :geek:

HIPP
    Participant

Well done Shark Slayer……where were you at and when?and what were you using? we went out yesterday arvo bout 5.45pm till 11pm….not a sausage, cooked prawns, raw prawns, mussel, squid, crab….omg and not a bloody thing, we fished in the easterly then turned NW later at the beach between coopers and the lake opening. So gutted, we just cant seem to get on the Eles or the Rig….like you SS all we would like is a few feeds in the freezer and we will then move on and do something else, bit of a bugger when you put in a reasonable effort for bugger all…..it is nice down the beach, but really a heng of a lot better when you put a feed on the table aye.
    Anyway S/S well done, My brother has rented a farm cottage over in your bay from the 27th, Im there just that one day, we may see you….he will have some littlle kids with him we would like to take fishing if there is anywhere suitable in the near facinity, even if its just for spotties for fun, we will have a more serious fish after they have gone to bed:) Cheers,Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good job Shark Slayer, same nice sharks there. Might have to take a trip down to canty so I can catch one… although I been saying that for the last four years.

fishforpot
    Participant

Conway Flats would be closer and just as likely a spot ….

shark slayer
    Participant

haha elmo..cheers guys…i was along kaitoriti spit hipp..all those baits will work fine but will be horribly outfished by chunks of paua..not essential tho..i caught the first one on raw prawn..a few on tuatua..squid..and cooked prawn is also the shizz…went out again today for twenty mins…water was dirty as..dumpy,choppy…sweet i thought..a good challenge..casted out a cooked prawn and after 5 mins i thought..nah need some scent..banged on a chunk of paua..3 mins later over goes the rod and line started peeling..after a few jumps and some line peeled a nice 8.5 lb cow ele was landed…the ele then taught me a few new lessons…lesson no1..ele spines hurt when they get jabbed in your chest.no 2.ele spines have barbs that allow them to swing from your chest when you let them go..no.3.when an ele falls from your chest onto its head..you have to keep it..haha wont be loosing concentration with the eles again..damn those spines hurt..wanted to let her go but she was buggered after landing on her head…went home a happy chappy..not bad for 20 mins fishing..the secret at the moment hipp is the incoming tide and from 12-5pm for some reason…short casts are also helping..just into good water does the job..i have had alot of empty days aswell but fish these times and fight through the crabs if you can and you will get rewarded…i assume you rented the cottage down near the bay off dave??he’s a nice old bloke..i should be there..might have to get you some cod and a few rig eh….here is todays ele..heeding up near ward now for a boat trip holliday..a few cod and a couple crays will be nice…good luck to those searching for an ele..bottoms up

fishforpot
    Participant

Just watch for infection there slayer …..ele’s can lift and drop that spike , easy to forget until too late ….same with sting rays …I can attest to that ….got a hole thru the leg curtesy on one a few years ago ..

So you tried the paua huh ..keeps the crabs at bay better than anything else Ive tried ……caught as many if not more ele’s on crab presented the way I described some time back , but the pesky rig hit the same baits …

Let’s just hope the torpedo guys dont go using it …buggers take far far too many fish already

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks Shark Slayer, for your tips, we will have to get down that spit a bit I think….Does anyone know if the lake is open?, thinking of shooting down from our end on the quad…was going to take it there the otherday for alook but someone had parked over my gate and couldnt get the trailer out!… Thanks also to Fishforpot you have also helped with your comments on here, Im sure we will shake off the bad JuJu soon and hone in on a feed or two:)
    Will touch base with you Shark Slayer nearer the time we come over. Happy fishing all and keep an eye on that wound S/S, Cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Quad from Bayleys would be just as easy , 8kms would be far enough to reach more productive water …. and if the ele’s are in plague numbers like the morning I was out , it doesnt really matter what your tossing out bait wise ….

HIPP
    Participant

Thanks fishforpot as a last resort I will do that, however I live in darfield and its only 30 to 35 min to the beach from my place otherwise i have to go all the way round the lake which is a bit of a treck when time is short.

elmo22
    Participant

thinking of going to balelys in moring, swell map looks a bit rough, has any one been out there today and can give a sea report on how rough it is thanks

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Moki fish at Ward last night, arrived around 8pm and walked along the beach for a while, was hoping to go further but laziness meant I fished a closer spot. Bit of a cool breeze blowing but conditions were alright.

Three rods all baited only with mussels, was going to harvest limpets from the rocks but I got the tides wrong. First cast caught a undersized crayfish, then the fishing slowed. Experimented with both BOS and Ball sinkers, with mixed results. Lost tackle using both. Around 10pm one of my rods finally bent over, was a bit disappointed when I saw glowing eyes in the breakers. A decent size Rig. Walked back to the car at 10:30 spotting undersized Crays in the shallows.

yellowfin
    Participant

fished conway yesterday, managed a skate 3 kahawai and a average id say schoolie at 10kg, saw a few others there from here and facebook Duckman (donald) who got a kahawai and a crab and Dwayne not sure if a member here but his mate had a moki when i left,

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.