2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Well for the first day of spring i spent today with a mate in Kaikoura, Were not overly good results, My mate lost a small/medium rig right at the waters edge, But he also got a red cod and a Octopus, other than that it was just dogfish after dogfish, we went to the wharf for a couple of hours and had alot of fun catching mullet, Silly as it sounds we really enjoyed it,

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out last night with my brother in Southbridge. Not much success either, we only hooked up Dog Fish and after a couple hours we had enough and headed back.

shark slayer
    Participant

Went out for a rig fish last night/evening.Conditions were ok with a moderate northeaster, water was clean and flat.arrived at the spot around 5.00, i decided to setup camp before casting out a bait wich turned out to be a wrong move….first cast and ten minutes later my rod buckled over to the horizon and line started pouring out at a rapid rate, i ran to get my rod out of the holder and engaged my main drag to sink the hook, ten minutes later a big cow rig well over 20lb was on the beach.she was in solid as condition and pregnant, back in the sea and off she swam…good start i though, the actions going to be full on i thought, i will have tea then get strait back into it i thought…but alas after tea my baits were getting stripped in seconds by crabs and the first fish was the only fish…should of fished the change of light properly but oh well.Had another cast at 4.30am before going home and had a short hit and run but it spat the bait.But hey cant complain my season has started.

“> veiw of bay.
    “> the local seal cubs checking us out
    “> mrs rig.

shark slayer
    Participant
    shark slayer
    Participant

tried to make the picture bigger but dont think it worked, i am useless with computers.And yeah ginga catching mullet is good fun especially when you burley up and are catching them one after the other, and of course we all know they are great bait and in my opinion they are great eating aswell.

fisherman24
    Participant

Good catch shark slayer. I went out rig fishing near birdlings flat friday night, fished from 7.00pm till 2.30am and didnt get a bite. I was using old crab from last year so that probably didnt help.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good job Shark_Slayer, thought about heading out myself but can’t find the motivation.

This is what Ginga could have been looking at if he fishes from the side rather then the end of the wharf.

“>
    Boat_from_Kai_Wharf by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree mullet are good eating, Far better than kahawai!! LOL Thomas i can look at that lol just a 90 degree turn of the head lol

shark slayer
    Participant

thanks guys.Yes fisherman24 i also tried birdlings and another spot on the way home the other day,for these results…
    “>
    [/U[URL=http://img267.imageshack.us/i/97108139.jpg/]“>[/U[URL=http://img267.imageshack.us/i/97108139.jpg/]RL]
    “>
    Wont be bothering with the surf beaches again until late september or early october…good luck to those who try.

yellowfin
    Participant

damn shark slayer, your making me jealous. Catching rig this early. Good on ya for releasing her back though

shark slayer
    Participant

To cut a long story short,my boat got stolen or somehow floated out to sea the other day.Not sure wich but im pretty sure it was stolen.Luckily my motor,fuel tank,and sounder were not on it.So i cant get around to my rig spot anymore..i have ordered a 4.1 meter frewza but they dont stock them so have to wait at least three weeks for it to be built.Have a couple of other rig spots that produce the odd early rig but have tried the last couple of nights with no reward.If anyone spots a 3.3 meter pro marine inflatable with wheels on it floating around it is mine….although with these northwests it would probably be in timaru by now if thats what happened…or if anyone knows someone that recently “acquired” such a boat, i would be interested to know…

smokin’ joe
    Participant

shark slayer

yellowfin
    Participant

shark slayer

shark slayer
    Participant

Went on an epic 3 hour bush walk to my rig spot yesterday.Arrived at 5.15, had baits in the water by 5.30 but all was quite up until dusk.Just as darkness fell my rod bent over hard and fast and fell out of the holder.I ran to the rod and tightened up the slack and immediately felt the power of a super solid rig.After ten minutes and some solid runs i got my first look at the biggest rig i have ever seen.One more powerful run and a had it by the leader, it was a female, pregnant, an a whopping 37lbs.Got a few photos wich was hard to do with a half flat head lamp and a fish that has chronic a.d.d., back in and off she swam into the deep.Had to leave after that, the wind was getting out of control and i had to walk back to the car in the dark.Got a feed of whitebait earlier in the day aswel so im pretty stoked…here are the sh#t photos..
    “>
    “>

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good catch there

I went and had a fish Near Timaru this morning, Just small dogfish around :mad:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.