2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 11 posts - 721 through 731 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

14 kahawai at mak mouth yesterday, Fished for about 75min or so before packing up and going home, Released 8 nice kahawai

croozer
    Participant

just back from the top of the south surfcasting, an arvo-evening and morning session. Water temp, 17, wind offshore and swell about a meter. Caught 3 nice snaps, probably 50 large ky and at least 15 sharks. 2 sharks were around 5 footers with heaps of 4 footers, good solid fish. Also broke 2 off on purpose before they spooled me, big ones…all in all, hot as fishing

kaituna ian
    Participant

cool sounds like a bloddy great session croozer ,how did you know the water temp mate

croozer
    Participant

water temps are available on http://www.swellmap.com select surfing option, then area your interested in, then other info , and there it is. As Ive said before, the presence,or lack of dogfish is a great indicator. They dont seem to like water above 16 degrees…cheers

shark slayer
    Participant

sounds like a good session there croozer..good to hear the kahawai hanging around so late..are they still running ginga??havnt been on here for a while have had no internet..have only been out a handfull of times..went for my last trout sesh of the season a few weeks ago..hooked a monster just on dusk..it was taking 8lb braid of the reel like nothing..after 10 mins i got a look at it..would of gone 14lb easy…it was really smart to it just stayed deep and only went on runs when it had to..after 15 mins i got it almost close enough to net then it took off towards an overhanging tree with snags..i fingered the spool and tried to stop it but it was just to good for the 8lb braid and it rubbed me off…was an exciting but fruitless end to the season for me..going for a trip this weekend with a few of the boys from work will be good to get out..been working 80 hour weeks so need a break..will post some photos..cheers :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea mate but think they starting to die down

shark slayer
    Participant

went to kaikoura on saturday afternoon..was supposed to take a few boys from work on a different trip but pulled the plug…red cod and moki were the targets..didnt seem to be any cod around only got two small ones and a few schoolies..even the doggys were few and far between..the beaches seemed dead and i tried all the prime times..maybe still to early for the big reds..the moki fishing was pretty good for this time of the year..was a bit rusty from not fishing for a while and lost a few but managed to land 6 all up..4 keepers and two smaller..last one was a nice fish around 4.5lb and real scrappy..only have photos of three my phone went dead..

oompalompa
    Participant

nice work mate

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers moyte :razz: here is the bigger one..man it was scrappy thought it was much bigger..hey croozer..were did you fish up south ??if you dont mind me asking..that is some seriously hot fishing for this time of year…i would love a feed of kahawai(my favourite fish)ut cant be bothered with the waimak.. 8)

shark slayer
    Participant

up south??..haha just realised how stupid that sounds…you know what i mean..

croozer
    Participant

up near farewell spit there ss….I have had some amazing sessions at Buller mouth, Westport, with the water at only 13…Full moon is crucial…Westport is a lot closer

Viewing 11 posts - 721 through 731 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.