2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

I so hope the bloody torpedo guys dont get onto the paua bait …..kinda funny the camera tho lol ….bugga

How lite are you going to go ?
    I often use a telescopic spinning rod with 2lb ..an 8 lb casting leader helps tho ..
    The paua is essential , you dont want rig , Ive spent 45 min landing them on that gear when Ive been stuck using crab …

Once the surf if around 1 foot , using that lite gear is pretty easy

It sounds insane going that lite …Ive been busted off twice in 10 years ..once I snapped off on purpose after about 45min due to boredom and the fact it was a rig …the other was on 20lb+ schoolies at Pendarves one evening …snapped it setting the hook too vigorously in excitement ….that was an insane evening tho , the buggers were tail walking on the heavier gear …scaring the bejesus out of the Yanks who’d been swimming just along from us – air con issues on the plane that was meant to take them to Antartica so they went sight seeing ….. they saw a sight that they probably wish they hadnt …. didnt help that I told them these fish were the babies lmao

I’m still waiting to go 10/1 on the lite line …..

yellowfin
    Participant

will look at heading to baileys tonight maybe, have not fished there for a while so might head there this afternoon for a few hours,

fishforpot
    Participant

Thinking about it myself ginga ……. wonder if elmo’s keen …could make an evening of it

yellowfin
    Participant

No 4wd or quad so am limited on where i can go sadly,

yellowfin
    Participant

wouldnt mind some eles or even more schoolies that have been down those ways

fishforpot
    Participant

Not much sense in taking more than 1 vehical …. what hours were you thinking ? ..

Looks like another forum member is joining me , leaving here at 5pm …fish till around 10.30 …..bite time is 8.18-10.18pm ….tide isnt perfect and wind a gentle onshore puff …but should be a good evening ..

Waiting to here from elmo …have room for 1 more if you are keen ginga

Update , elmo is in ……so is croozer assuming he can get his housework for Christmas done in time …I’ll PM you my cell number ginga …. I will be in and out during the day so txt me if your keen …

HIPP
    Participant

Good luck tonight guys…Shark Slayer I now know your secret,,,,,you have been offering Digital camrea technology to the fish gods on a regular basis…and in return you have been blessed with bountiful fish:)…seriously though, you are doing very well, good on you.
    Looks form the members comments that the lake is open, so I will have to venture down the spit on the Quad after christmas from the baylies end….stuck at work today and tomorrow….Christmas with the family and then off to S/S country for the 27th….then i might be able to get there for a look and hope to catch a feed or two of prime Ele and then a few Rig for the freezer and Ill be happy and turn my attention to the ever elusive Salmon.

merry christmas to you all hope you all have a great one, Cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Fish were on the bite from the time we arrived until around 90mins later , then it was pretty quiet from then until dark ….
    We managed 5 schoolies , all small ..1 dogfish ……1 ele…11 rig …
    Nothing of much size ….pretty dismal to be honest …it beat the shit out of no fishing ….
    So much for the solar lunar calander today …..tho it was only 1 star of possible 3 …major bite time might have been 2 hrs out .

yellowfin
    Participant

Still i enjoyed it, putting a couple new faces too the names,

croozer
    Participant

had a good time last night…nice to meet you guys..be good to get out again soon

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea definatly croozer, just watch the striking of those fish, dont want their heads ripped off or line snapping again,

shark slayer
    Participant

haha..have seen heaps of people fishing like that at bayleys walk access..also trying to fight fish with the rod still in the holder..there is no need to strike at all if you have your shit setup right..and if you do its just a small lift of the tip or even just the tension from winding up the slack and lifting the tip to wind will do the trick..i use bait runners so the second drag setting sets the hook although they normally set on the hit with the tension of the breakout sinker.yes hipp my technological gifts to the fish seem to be working…went down for a light line sesh yesterday but the onshore wind meant i lacked the distance i wanted so just had a couple casts with the surf rod..a 14lb male rig and 7lb ele were tamed..who caught the ele ffp??im just using 10lb braid a 4000d baitrunner and a 8ft shimano sephia for my light setup..still want a reasonable chance of not busting off..and with 10lb braid you can still fish reasonable surf…and then just a 100lb trace..strayline it out..

shark slayer
    Participant

yesterdays ele..couldnt release it..

yellowfin
    Participant

elmo22 got the ele

fishforpot
    Participant

My other setup is 12lb mono ….fished that for the last 25years …used braid last night ….
    Yup , elmo got the ele …on a prawn/crab combo I think ….maybe it was prawn/tuatua .

Croozer lost an ele …I think they were the only two out there last night lol …

The rods croozer uses are VERY flexible ….he “might” have been a little over zealous with the striking – I will explain later …..but hey , he did catch 6 of the rig …but in saying that , if we all used fresh crab on all rods the whole time we were there I’m sure we could have caught 2-3 dozen of the things
    Some of you probably dont realise it , but croozer worked in Aussie for many years as a commercial fisherman , hand lines and rods – no nets ….so he does have some experience …
    In hindsite , the fish werent exactly on the bite last night ……especially early on in the evening Croozer got way more hits than us for various reasons ….
    Most of all tho , and after thinking about it a little , croozer was right , they were mouthing the baits ..chewing maybe but not eating as they normally do ….
    The rigs he was using had little crimps on the trace line , with hooks on a sliding rig running between the crimps ….this may have allowed the fish to chew and move a little without the resistance of sinker/line …
    In summary , maybe the fish were in timid mode and his setup was superior to ours , and the fish simply didnt have the hook inside their mouths properly before he struck ….a little more patience needed before striking may have proved far more effective than a softer strike …
    Ive fished twice off beaches with him now , and he uses some radical setups that Ive never seen , especially at Kaikoura …..very effectively I must add …I can see me learning a lot off the Aussie …..geeze that thought irks me lol

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.