2012 surf catches Spring/summer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 731 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

good one shark slayer thats a very big fish

shark slayer
    Participant

Thanks guys, heres a slightly better photo
    “>

Miliwolf
    Participant

Recently been on a two week trip around the North Island and I got a bit of fishing in, overall the fishing was not great, the weather was not great and all that I caught were Rays.

Day 1: Crossed cook strait and drove up to Taupo, was dark when I got there. Took a few photos. Next morning heard the river mouths were producing good numbers but decided to move on.
    Day 2: Spent Night at Whangarei, got there to late to scout out fishing spots.
    Day 3: Up to the far north, the weather was terrible and it pissed with rain until just on dusk. Fished the harbor and only caught Rays.
    Day 4: Was fine, then wet, then fine, then wet… Wind was strong all day. Fished Wharf in morning for nothing. Scouted out a few spots, Went for a fish from a few rocks. The only fish probably a kingie took my snapper rod and broke me off. Was one powerful fish. After a few hours got sick of getting soaked every 45 minutes so drove south looking for more shelter.
    Day 5: evening fish on KeriKeri Peninsula, more rain, wind and rays.
    Day 6: evening fish Whangaerei Heads, wind and rays.
    Day 7: Climbed a volcanol, was going to spend night in Auckland but was to busy so went to Rotorua instead. The massive trout in Rainbow and Paradise springs are always worth a look.

Spent next few days slowly heading home, via Waitomo Caves, New Plymouth, Wanganui. Watched a few guys catching Red Cod from the Wanganui breakwater.

“>
    P9140116 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    P9140115 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    View from Mount Manaia by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    Sunset, Fish and Refinery by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    P9080056 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

baitman
    Participant

thought you had been a quiet, sounds like a great trip pitty the weather/fish didnt play ball. What harbour did you fish in northland? Perangaranga/Houhora….

shark slayer
    Participant

Cool photos there miliwolf, it’s a shame you didnt land the kingi, they are hard to stop.Would of been the first kingi a member of this forum has caught, i think…..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nah, I know a few of the members have landed kingies before. Although maybe none in the South Island. I speared one a couple of years back.

Anyway, my first Rig of the season. Caught at Spot R just before dark. She was a big girl.

Was caught over high tide, had a few other strikes. Only caught two paddle crabs in my pot. Sea was fairly calm, no wind but overcast skies. Went home just after 6pm because I was soaked and was getting cold.

“>
    Final_RIg by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

“>
    P9160004 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Participant

Beaut rig miliwolf… early one for you

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, they are early this year, but then so is Spring. August was mild, and September is actually quite warm.

St_Paul
    Participant

socky’s been gettin some beauties too.

shark slayer
    Participant

oh my bad ive never seen any on here.nice rig there miliwolf well done, the two i have caught so far have been real big to, might go for a rig fish tomorrow the water will be nice and stirred up after this southerly…

Miliwolf
    Participant

They caught them before joining the forum, there are a few guys who have been around for a while on here.

Last summer I discovered a very nice Kingfish spot down the Sounds, same nice people have even made a track and installed permanent rod holders. Think I would be doing a few overnighters down there this year. Rig are fun to catch, but I am starting to get a bit bored with them so that might just be the motivation I needed to target Kingies this year.

St_Paul
    Participant

count me in. Kingie mission sounds like fun, can bring the 12 weight!

elmo22
    Participant

great fish milwolf, lots of feeds on that one

Miliwolf
    Participant

St_Paul

HIPP
    Participant

Well done you guys, looks like things are off to a great start, I really didnt exspect to see anything happining yet….so any of these Rig in the canterbury area yet or are these all north of here?
    Im looking forward to my fishing again,
    Be Lucky Everyone, cheers, Hipp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 731 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.