Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

lol fail

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished birdlings last nite.Big dumping surf,howling ,nasty onshore wind ,which didnt let up.Got 1 good rig and shag.Boy, cant they hold their breath a long time.
    Luckily we had rum to fortify livers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thought about going to birdlings last night but stayed in christchurch and fished the pier to 1am. Had a few bites but caught nothing after dark.

mulletman
    Participant

looking at going to waimak tomorow and might try catch a ray, last time i was there some one caught one, so i might have a go this time

magooes
    Participant

where have you gone bridlings?????, I enjoy you daily updates

gunnercoops
    Participant

Got to Pines at 5am fished 2.5 hours over low tide with raw banana prawns, no fish. The bait was taken apart though every cast so suspect the old crabs got a good feed.

Agree magooes..what you been catching Birdlings?

fishforpot
    Participant

Got room for one more , heading to baileys about 4.30 till dark ……..

Txt me on 021 1408924 if your keen to join us …….heading way way along the beach …

HIPP
    Participant

Giday fellas, Im sure i posted thismorning, nt sure what happend, Anyway, fished Coopers lagoon last night till 10.30pm, dirty water, cold breeze,

nothing touched the prwans we had for bait (except for us:)), three other fishers further down by the old outlet to the lagoon, not sure how they went.

my cobber in Ross got aRig last night, so still some about over ther.

cheers, Hipp

fishforpot
    Participant

Baileys tonight , first cast saw a 6 1/2 foot seven giller ……then a 6lb rig with a load of attitude on ultralite gear …..
    A few greyboys and a few more rig , biggest about 15lb maybe , was near dark and I was busy with other gear so didnt get a good look at it
    Nightfall saw the seven gillers arive in numbers ….ending in a bustoff and biteoff as we packed to come home …..no sign of ele’s , all and all pretty quiet for the spot we fish
    The 3 of us came home with a feed each , so a pleasant evening

Anonymous
    Inactive

fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

While the seven gillers add a little excitement , they are a pain in the arse really ………unless I was taking a first timer , or a kid , I”d sooner they werent there
    Other than that , it was a poor nights fishing by usual standards , but a night evening weatherwise ….even the rain was pleasantly refreshing

Google earth “birdlings flat” and look left “sou west” ….the shingle road takes a 90deg bend to the beach half way along the spit …thats where the public access is ………IMO the fishing is far better further down again , but its via property , or along the shingle beach which can be risky

2 of those bloody quad bikes were 1/2 a mile towards birdlings from us all night , someone was fishing there while the clowns on the bikes spent the entire time zooming around on the beach and in the dunes ….its these plonkers which will spoil it for everyone else ….

We took photos of the seven giller we landed around 6pm ……dazza will upload if he figures out how , and I remember to tell him to lol

Edited to add , the plonker didnt tell me he had only been given the camera , and guess what ? yeah , he screwed it up , the pics didnt work as some setting was wrong ……..I had my camera with me , ARGH

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice, I might be going there next week.

Just came back from Kaiapoi. Heaps of mullets caught. Quite a few released and kept the rest for bait (which will hopefully be useful at Baileys).
    Bought a shrimp pump on TradeMe a couple of days ago, for like 7 bucks. Used it to catch yabbies at New Brighton yesterday and they worked a treat today.
    Guess Allan was right. There is no better bait for yellow eyes than the little shrimps.

Only “problem” was that we hooked a big brown trout at the end. Was fishing next to my sister and the trout ran her direction. Big tangle and the trout escaped, which was good because we don’t have a license. Does anyone know if that might happen often in Kaiapoi? Catching trout, that is. If so, will have to buy licenses even though we’re only there to catch mullet?

yellowfin
    Participant

catching trout in the kaiapoi is fairly common while mullet fishing alot more than im sure many people realise. licence for mullet no ur fine with out one

Anonymous
    Inactive

But still, will I need a license if I’m targetting mullet and a trout comes along, even though I’ll definitely release it?

yellowfin
    Participant

No, you would need a licence if you were targeting the trout otherwise the trout is just “bycatch” and as long as its released you are fine

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.