Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Paddled around the grove arm wharfs tonight and got depth readings

The little one at the grove is right into a steep drop off… At around high-tide the wharf drops into 4m of water which quickly slopes away to 8m a bit further out. Then it flattens out. So casts within about 20-30m is all that is required to reach the flat.

The wharf near the start of QC track is surrounded by shallow water (1.5m). There is one piece of interest, is that diagonally from the eastern most corner runs a 3-4m deep channel.

The Thompson Bay wharf is slighter deeper but no obvious channel.

IMO the small grove wharf has the most interesting depth profile to fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Is the small grove wharf the one near aussie bay? The fish life I saw the night I was at the QC track wharf was amazing just fish everywhere and big schools of kahawai jumping out of the water chasing the smaller fish all in that shallow water.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yes, the small wharf is nearest to aussie bay. Large numbers of mullets in the inner sounds,.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

30lb rig last night at bayleys beach..nice fish caught at 7.30pm on squid!!(very short cast into waves)

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished for a few hours this afternoon at wakanui. Only fished one rod with crab baits, got no rig bites only managed sea lice. Was planning on staying till dark but somehow snapped my 80lb shockleader on the last cast so packed up.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Was any of the sea lice decent size?

yellowfin
    Participant

the ones in kaikoura were huge mate

yellowfin
    Participant

Pictures from wakanui today. Good conditions just no rig around yet. I’ve never seen this pond open up and flow into the sea before, not sure if the extra things being washed out to sea could attract more fish to the area.

mulletman
    Participant

i have been fishing the peir most mornings through the week lots of mullet and crabs for bait not many kahawai there was a few on monday though

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

another rig the other day caught by Rod in the early evening at baileys…

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul

yellowfin
    Participant

mulletman

yellowfin
    Participant

hahaha

mulletman
    Participant

you must not be looking hard enough. Im in vanuatu and the weather has just kicked up. got game fishing planned for friday and saturday, saw a sailfish on monday at the game docks. AWESOME :D :D

yellowfin
    Participant

how can u be at pier if u not in the country? haha

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.