Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a drive in Christchurch yesterday. Pier is all open but didn’t see anyone fishing. When is the water going to be safe for fishing or does it even matter if I’m not eating the fish? Thinking about taking a week or two off and travel up to kaikoura and Havelock to get some fishing in before the seasons over.

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

elmo22
    Participant

well done tev on the itm fishing comp did you fish or did the single malt get you lol you had some big names on your team but you didnt have the winner of the birdling flat comp in it……..look forward to hearing the story regards allan and sandra

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been away for a couple of night fishing. Headed down the Kenepuru Friday night, intending to find somewhere to camp and spend the night… Spot after spot went past as I continued my search… Wanted to try somewhere new but did not have time to find a new point and did not feel like launching my Kayak. Should of stayed near portage, but eventually found a spot on the north side of Kenepuru heads, about 100m walk down the beach I found a ‘stone wharf’, the spot looked shallow but a bit of structure so I gave it a fish… Clouds threaten to rain.

About 8pm, I decided to drive to Titirangi and try there instead, was a slow drive in fog. Got there around 9pm and walked out to the rocky point. Tide was high by that stage but a ledge was still above water. First fished was a large conger followed by a small carpet. Four more strikes, and two bust offs followed before I went to bed at 11:30pm. Next day started with fine weather, I sleep in and got to the point after first light. The spotties were already on the feed. Back to car and got my Kayak ready. Out to a point and I forgotten my sinkers, straylined a few Cod and KY before couta’s arrival called for a change of tactics. Been told there were good numbers of Butterfish out there so I anchored up and went for a spear. Saw one big fat butter which was to quick and a juvenile… that was all on the Butterfish front.

Was a okay number of Moki around and saw a scattering of turkeys… that was until I saw two larger ones in the shallows, I scared them but a few seconds later they returned with a School 40-50 strong. First time I seen turkeys so was a new experience. The schooling effect was enough to disorinentat my aim so was unable to shot any. Plus even the largest were not overly big. They did not stick around to be shot at a second time. Feeling a bit ill from the dive I climbed back onto the Yak and fished a little, before heading back to the beach. Was then 2pm and I had little to do before nightfall. So decided to pack up and return to the Kenepuru. Got to the Point in te Mahia around 5pm. Conditions were calmed, overcast but cleared. After dark things were dead, even a nibble got my attention. Found a discarded set line tangled in the rocks, complete with trace carrier. Packed up around 10:30pm and headed for home. Took the set-line with me and binned it.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi milli the stone wharf you talk of im guessing you mean what is known by many as the groin, and is a lovely camping spot and on a good tide is somewhere where many a good snapper can be caught too (i took a 15lber there several yaers ago ,the last time i actually fished for snapper to be ohnest).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Grabbed this image from Google maps… Resolution is not the best but I think the arrow is pointing to the grassy area. The second arrow is pointing basically where the little stone wharf thing is at low tide. I did fish that general area with my dad a little back when I was a kid, so had limited knowledge of the area. In no great hurry to fish that area again. To many great spots closer to town, and to many others waiting to be discovered.

“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I considered it had potential (Structure/food being the main one plus a convenient camping spot), but there was a number of factors against it.

– The structure looked likely to cause snags over high tide, yeah all good snapper spots are snaggy but it looked extra bad.
    – Was on the edge of a tidal / mudflat area, I have never had much luck when fishing such areas. (grove arm wharf excluded). They seem to be sporadic producers at best and often over specific parts of the tide.
    – Entire area was covered in thick sticky mud.
    – Grass flat had a cold miserable feel to it. Probably nice on a hot summer evenings but not a cold drizzly autumn one..

About another 150-200m along the beach was a point which I thought looked better but by then it was late and I was uncertain how dry the walk back would be after high. Did retrieve about 50m of braid from the rocky point.

yellowfin
    Participant

pier has been open for last 3-4 weeks
    it got the yellow thing for the inspection

St_Paul
    Participant

was in kaikoura on wednesday night . Fished off the beach from 4 – 7pm doggies and school sharks, then headed around to the wharf and caught a couple of moki unfortunately largest one was only 39cm.

yellowfin
    Participant

one doggie from waimak mouth last night, great windy night to be out

yellowfin
    Participant

just got home from a weekend in kaikoura, fished the beach and got far too many doggys so mainly fished he wharf where i got mullet spotties wrasse a stargazer one red cod 4 moki one was well legal 50cm+ also managed 11 congers from the wharf and 8 from the beach when i werent getting doggys , so in all a fairly dissapointing trip, Caught up with miliwolf up there and dont think he did overly great either, think the best thing i saw him catch was a huge clump of kelp anddidnt sound like he did too good on the yak either but sure he will post sometime today

Miliwolf
    Participant

yeah, fishing was tough at Kaikoura and sea conditions was not the best. Water was dirty for the most part. Caught a few blue cod yak fishing in south bay but they were borderline. Went for a spearfish but legal butters were few and extremely wary. Raining today so did not go fishing. The Moki fishing was Disappointing, should of learned from the first night and tried different spots but old habits are hard to break.

HIPP
    Participant

Just back from Jacksons Bay on the the southern west coast,
    Not much to report sadly, i had two days of fishing from the warf in the bay lots of red cod made up of both very young and mature fish, I also caught a conger, and my friends got a few large wras type fish, other folks there also caught congers and a couple of other guys were into doggies,low on bait they were useing doggies for bait and thats all they caught was more doggies,no suprises there lol.
    I was very dissapointed with the quality of fish, though there were roumours of a snapper caught the week before, the guy at the motel in Haast said, they always catch at least one a year,, just enough to keep us interested i guess lol.
    Speaking to an ex local from down there the week prior, said there was mainly Teraki down there and other locals saying under the lights at night in the summer produced good numbers of bait type fish.
    It rained most of the time and the water was quite dirty from the nearby river mouth as the area had heavy flooding at the time.
    We had checked out Bruce Bay on the way down and we intended to have afish on the way home but tide conditions werent the best, two hours before and after high tide as sugested to me prior to going by one of the fourm members(thank you) rings true as the is alot of debri on the beach for high tide fishing and the inability to cast into the right water at low tide being the reasoning.We spent some time there haveing afossik amounts the debri and sadly found a six point stag and lots of dead possoums amoungest the debri from the river, I suspect the 1080,s handy work.
    Good news though, it does look like agreat place to fish and there is abach there owned by the Hokitika fishing club and it is available for rent, if anyones interested i have the phone number for it. It is basic but perfectly posisioned on the beach front and only 15ish kms away from the Poringa river area for trout fishing, hunting and the salmon farm there, loads of big trout there to view outside the netted area.(display only)
    As for Jacksons bay, well its along way to drive, but it is a really nice area to spend some time, lots of rocky out crops there to investigate and if you have aboat its not far out to where it drops off and judgeing by the Ling and Bluenose bits on the beach and the storys from locals of gurnard,blue cod and Grouper, it sounds like the fishing is really good.
    We also spent abit of time fossicing for the ever elusive greenstone and other interesting things as the area is one of the best to find it, or as they say ..for it to find you,So i guess it wasnt ment to be this time:)
    As for the hunting, well not so good till we got back to Ross were between us we managed acouple of young tasy goats, lots of Deer sign about,they to eluded ust this time.
    Good to see one or two of you have been out, tight lines to you all, keep warm,
    Cheers, Hipp

Miliwolf
    Participant

Shame to hear about the fishing, I had great expectations regarding Jackson Bay. I always thought it looked worthwhile to walk over to Smoothwater bay for a cast. It is on my list of places I want to fish

elmo22
    Participant

was not a good fishing trip as far as getting fish may be a place to go in the summer time

surfrod
    Participant

hey there, i’m new plymouth based but generally go to wanaka for xmas. try and get over to haast / jacksons bay for a fish each year if the weather presents. at that time of year there tends to be plagues of small tope sharks but have managed the odd horse kahawai. the water temps get right up there, was 18 degrees when i was down there last year so i wouldn’t be surprised if some more northern species turned up from time to time. for example i wouldn’ be too shocked if kingfish were seen around the wharf occasionally. but really i’ve been hanging out for a change of light / night fish (haven’t done it yet), the locals tell me there are plenty of eles and rig

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.