Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

Only if it was really lost….

I’m pretty sure it was an opal fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks like what we kept catching up the sounds a few weekends ago. They were nailing sabikis while we were fishing for mackeral.

St_Paul
    Participant

Hmm…nope definitely wasn’t one of those, which I would definitely say is an opalfish. I have done a bit more research and can almost certainly say it was a thornfish.

Probably should have kept it for ID or taken a pic, but am loathe to keep anything inedible or unidentifiable just for the sake of knowing what it is.

yellowfin
    Participant

Oh sothats what those are st paul i have caught many many many of them and werent sure what they were i thought they were like a salt water cockabillie though have caught them in sizes from about 5cm too 15cm give and take a few cm either side i alsothought they may have been a form of rock cod

St_Paul
    Participant

they have very hefty spikes at the back of the head that they seem to flair up when you’re trying to get the hook out. did you catch yours at kaikoura too?

yellowfin
    Participant

yea they are quite a common catch off the wharf in kaikoura nasty looking things

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone been out lately? I think I’ve fished twice in the last two months and coming up a month since I last got out just haven’t had time and the weather seems like shit every weekend. Anyone know if the Pier is alright to fish yet?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I went surfcasting at blue gums a few days back, wind did not make things pleasant. Evenings are now getting short so barely got setup before dark… Caught nothing, my crab baits are looking quite sad so would need replacing before I target rig again. Would have to put more effort into it if I want to catch a sevengiller this year.

fishforpot
    Participant

Peir looks shut still , I could be wrong but dont think I am

I would still expect Baileys to produce some rig , seven gillers will be abundant but so will the dogfish argh

yellowfin
    Participant

Even if pier was open (which I think it isnt) sewerage still being pumped into the sea.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Last night St_paul and I fished a spot in the Mahau sounds. Conditions were overcast with the occasional shower but it slowly cleared. There was little wind.

We arrived shortly after 5pm and fished the outgoing tide for a few hours mainly feeding spotties. Around dusk St_Paul caught a pannie, not wanting to blank I changed to a 4/0 hook and caught two small pannies before changing back to the 8/0. After dark there was a steady stream of Snapper caught, with the tide coming back in we walked out around 11pm. I have caught 6 pannies and a KY, St_Paul landed 5 which were larger then mine…

fishforpot
    Participant

Is this normal millie ? or do you think the numbers are coming back ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I think there has been a slight improvement in numbers. I have caught snapper every trip this year in the Mahau or Kenepuru. So it is fairly normal fishing, I think there are more pannies around in the Autumn to. Like I got 27 in Okiwi last weekend in around 4 hours fishing.

St_Paul
    Participant

Yup milli bet me on landed numbers but I reckon I beat him on weight ;-) and I lost 3 other fish, Two amusing moments, 1 when I hooked up on my first fish the rod was loaded up when the line went sending my tip bells flying backwards into a dead manuka , and the other when I forgot to remove my tip light before casting causing it to perform a manuever not unlike a shooting star. I think Milli found it highly amusing :-)
    I’ve been thrashing the QC sound for the last few years and didn’t realise how good the snapper fishery in the Mahau was, also very good numbers of baitfish attracted to the Burley trail. Lots o fishy splashing in the night.
    Also as a side note if your doing a bit of rock hopping keep an eye out for second hand or clearance felt soled boots got some on TM and didn’t fall over half as much as last time we went. you can pick them up cheap as thery’re banned for use trout fishing now.

Hardy
    Participant

Hi Folks

Did the ITM Kahawai World Cup last weekend, held at Papamoa. My Team of four, took out the Team Event. $1000.00 plus a big Cup. About 340 fishers all up.
    29 Teams. Conditions were tough. Team was me, Gary Kemsley from Hawkes Bay, Neil Angus ( Yeehah/Kiwicaster) Wellington and James Benge, Hawkes Bay.

Will put the story up soon.

Cheers Trev aka Hardy

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.