Latest Catches Spring/Summer 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,031 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

You can be anywhere you want whenever you want with whoever you want when you live in a fantasy world sam …I mean duh!

yellowfin
    Participant

lol haha yeh true

Miliwolf
    Participant

sam.peterson

yellowfin
    Participant

Went up to the pier this afternoon for a few hours. Was planning on getting crab baits for the weekend at wakanui but lost my crab catcher without catching any so only ended up coming back with one crab I got off another guy. Only two fish I saw the entire time I was there was a good sized kahawai and I got one mullet. Looks like I’ll be using prawns for rig this weekend, meant to be 26 degrees saturday with norwesters and 10 degrees overnight with under 1 meter swell.

yellowfin
    Participant

ima go out to birdlings flat then

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a evening Snapper fish in the Mahua Sounds. Arrived at my spot around 6pm and the action was nearly immediate with bending rods and missing bait. Was not long before a serious bend resulted in a potential double figure Snapper landed, was hooked in the gills and was bleeding badly so was kept. The rod which it was caught on only cost $50, which basically proves expensive rods are not required for big fish.

The big fellow was quickly followed by two large pannies. Bending rods, stolen bait and short runs were common up until dusk. Apart from the Snapper I landed 1 decent Kahawai which I suspect was responsible for many of the bends. My Snapper hooks are a touch to large for Kahawai so they rarely hook up. The bites stopped after dark. Stopped fishing shortly before 9.

Was a steady breeze and nice chop to begin with, think it was a southerly or easterly. Tide was after high and outgoing, was fairly low when I walked back to the car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fishforpot
    Participant

Dirty claytons north islander lmao

Accurate report from along Baileys spit this morning ……rig are here , and big cows …..good numbers of them
    No sign of elephants yet tho

elmo22
    Participant

went to tuamutu this morining got there at 6am fished to 9.30 only got dogs and one small greyboy water abit discoloured where are the fish fishforpot had all the right baits prawn pipi herring squid crayfish i need a lesson on how 2 catch them lol

fishforpot
    Participant

Im not 100% sure on the exact figures , but my mate had scales with him and I do recall 3 * 13 lbers , 1 at 21 lb , 1 at 23lb and the other was possible 16lb ?…3 of the cows pregnant , the 21lber released …..
    He went with a mate of his , so good for them releasing one …..I only take 2 fish as a rule …often only 1 , and drop back to ultralight line for sport if conditions allow …..catch and release

Did the quad bikes he mentioned come past you ? they were in my spot …he was a 1/2 miles further east of my spot ……You need permission to access it thru farmland ….I have perm from both , my mate doesnt ….my spot involves only 3 gates and park right on the beach , my mates going thru 4 gates and is not quite as close

Im lazy lmao …..

I know the water there is a lot more productive , its way deeper but other than that maybe something to do with the food chain and seepage from the lake …….

Fresh crabs , no legs , no shell ….cut in half folded over on itself and bound onto the hook …..deadly on the ele’s and rig …….you had all the bait except the bait the buggers were feeding on ….. just like crab gets way way outfished by cray off the kaikoura beaches

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to wakanui this afternoon for a few hours. Was fairly calm and didn’t help that I only had a few old as black rotton crabs I got off a mate at the pier and some cooked prawns. No rig, possibly a bit to calm although woulda been the same up at baileys. Got one good sized elephant fish on a peice of the old crabs I had and caught a small school shark and a dogfish on the prawns.

elmo22
    Participant

nice eley hope they keep coming

yellowfin
    Participant

Good to see the eles turning up Zac. Weather depending my try and get out this week afterwork.

yellowfin
    Participant

Didn’t have much luck at the club competition at wakanui today. Apart from 1 red cod EVERY other fish caught was a dogfish. Not even a skate or small school shark just amazing. The red cod was the heaviest fish. People were fishing crab baits as well but no eles or rig at all. Was 30 or so people there and everyone weighed in their 6 heaviest fish so that could be up to 180 dogfish. Never seem to catch anything good at the competitions, like kaikoura you can go up and catch loads of congers and a few seven gillers then the day of the comp you get nothing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Shit!!! thats a few doggies :P

fishforpot
    Participant

Years ago I had a bright idea , use 2 fishing kites at once to tow a setnet off baileys …..the net was a 60mtr moki net from memory ….
    The month was september , god knows what we were thinking lmao ……..I have no idea how we managed to pull it back in thru the surf …..I think every mesh had a dogfish in it …nearly all dead I must add
    The pile we built made the one above look small ….it was like a dumptruck had tipped its entire load on the beach …..

Good job too , stinking things ….but no doubt in 40 years when my kids take their grand kids out , they will talk of catching an elephant fish caught when they were kids …..and take home their 3 doggies and think it’s been a sucessful day out fishing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,031 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.