Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I fished the kaikoura saw dust pits for a couple of hours anzac evening, and I only fished bonito :oops:

Caught two or three Doggies, a red cod and a Barracouta. Spent the day spearfishing so was to tired to fish into the dark.

fishforpot
    Participant

That’s where we caught the first 3 KY and 3 carrots …. then moved further down the beach …..my favourite spot is hard to get to now , they have blocked access to the 4wd track
    Always had far more luck in the mornings along that beach ..
    Caught 1 carrot on fresh KY with a scrap of bonito bound against it .. the locals swear by KY for carrots , Ive caught plenty on fresh mullet but pilly would be my choice

Looking on Google Earth , there’s a rivermouth a little North of the sawdust pits that we might be able to drive along the beach to ….looks like an awesome spot

Miliwolf
    Participant

Do you mean the small stream which is about 200m to the north of the Sawdust pits, the Hapuka River which is about 5km to the north… or the small stream about 1km to the south?

When I fish the sawdust pit, I typically drive and park a safe distance from that small stream 200m to the north. Never tried to ford the stream.

I reckon fresh Kahawai is one of the best baits for any specie.

fishforpot
    Participant

We actually fished both streams … but just looking again , it was the Hapuka I was looking at , and there must be somewhere along the coast you can get out onto the beach , without fording any streams ..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Must admit I have never explored the area around the Hapuka mouth, I am certain their would be track.

Looks like there might be a track at the end of Old Beach road, can see it on google earth.

Also looks like a couple of tracks from the north, turn off where the Surfies go and head south, track joins beach approx 300m from the river mouth. .. Never explored that track either.

fishforpot
    Participant

I vaugely recall the track south of the river , I have this image of a narrow track and clay bank with a steep 4-5foot drop to the beach …It’s real fuzzy tho , but I dont think youd get in and with a 4WD terribly easily …. wouldnt excude dropping in for another look tho ….and as you say , looks more likely youd get in from the north …….might even be able to drive down the braided river itself …

Ive heard there’s a LOT of sharks around the mouth ….they will be there for a reason

St_Paul
    Participant

you can get to the north bank if you turn off at maungamanu and drive down as far as you can, its then a bit off a walk, might be able to get a bit further in a 4wd but wasn’t going to risk it in 2wd. Haven’t fished it myself has been dirty every time I’ve been down that way. Have a mate who has done well spinning and fly fishing for kahawai down there.

Were you using bait for the kahawai or spinning fish for pot? often worth flicking out a spinner if you start to catch them on bait at this time of year.

Took my Dad out to the beach on the waikawa side of Karaka point last night for an early night fish. Started off looking promising, bit of moon on the water and around 17 degrees. He caught a large carpet shark (almost 3 foot) then had a good hit from a ray, started getting pannie bites then the moon clouded over. Bites stopped and baits were stripped clean by lice within 10 minutes. put out 1 pillie and had it come back completely stripped of flesh complete skeleton came back so we buggered off. Dad was pretty stoked, first fish he’s caught in ages.

fishforpot
    Participant

KY were on bait ….if they are around youd normally see them breaking the water , or the birds working ….they were few and far between ….5 over 7 hrs ….normally you have trouble getting a bait to the bottom , but being this late in the season I guess they were fairly thinly spread

Could you get onto the beach from Mangamanu end and drive south to the Hapuka river ? 4WD of course

Miliwolf
    Participant

The weather was looking a bit suspect as I left home this afternoon, thick clouds over much of the Richmond Range and Sounds. This threaten rain, but it also promises warmer temperatures after dark. With no rain in the forecast I took the gamble and arrived at my fishing spot around 5pm. Apart from a little bit of dirty water around the rocks the water was clean despite the recent rains. Low tide was at 7:30pm so it was quite a deep wade out to the point and a chilly breeze was blowing but a few layers made fishing quite pleasant.

The first Pannie was landed after about half an hour of fishing, that was followed by seven more throughout the evening. As it grew dark, the wind died away and I quickly had to remove layers because it was hot. A very pleasant evening to be out on the rocks. On the last bait of the night I hooked something which did not feel like a Snapper and I landed a small shark, I assumed Doggie at first but I quickly realized it was a baby Tope. The first I have caught in the inner sounds. Was back in the car and heading home by 9:30

elmo22
    Participant

came back from blemhein on saturday afternoon and the sea down the coast was as rough as raining and windy,but when we went up anzac day it was as clam as ive seen it for a long time as some of you guys that went fishing there know

Miliwolf
    Participant

Decided to fish a old favorite spot in the Kenepuru, do not think I have fished it this year. Lost a lot of hooks to snags (suspect thats way its a old favorite). KY stole bait constantly before it got dark… After dark caught a Pannie on second to last bait which was also taken… then I was out of bait. Wished I had brought Anchovies rather then pillys, they go a lot further.

Then spent about half a hour trying to catch Herrings and Garfish on a 8/0 hook, nearly got one to. In a sad sort of way it was the most fun I had fishing for quite same time. Such a delicate precise strike was needed, was very challenging.

yellowfin
    Participant

some guy caught a 40kg blue shark off the new brighton pier last night

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6873200/40kg-shark-caught-on-old-rod

baitman
    Participant

Are they good eating? I had heard they are horrible

fishforpot
    Participant

Dazza fished Kaikoura over the weekend …..dogfish city in calm as seas Nth of Kaiks yesterday
    Rougher today , several red cod and a gurnard made it worthwhile ………interesting they are still around …. I will wait till nov before venturing up there again tho

Miliwolf
    Participant

My desire to catch a winter snapper saw me perched on Elephant point tonight, It might have been the cold temperature, or maybe my cold but I struggled to get warm. Even wearing my heavy down Jacket did not help. Fishing was slow, did land a spottie before it got dark. Watched a helicopter flying around in the dark. Packed up and went home at 8:30

Hoping to get back out there, but think I would wait until a overcast night or stick to fishing during the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.