Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 14 posts - 931 through 944 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    St_Paul
    Participant

they weren’t catching @ waikawa.
    Have caught a grand total of 3. 1 on fly and 2 on jigs.

yellowfin
    Participant

The big schools I’ve seen in kaikoura are usually december/january if I remember right but heard from someone else they are around during winter

yellowfin
    Participant

There were shit loads in october last year

shark slayer
    Participant

nice pic’s milli, good to see someone else out fishing..hopefully things are starting to warm up now…good to see other more forum members back on here aswell.tried for some flounder last week using prawn and dragging a 7g zed spinner across the bottom…zip,only catches were cockles and funnily enough they were actually latching onto the hook,have also caught tuatua on hooks before…..just respooled my bait runners with 50lb braid,first time i have tried it…heading out in search for some early rig tonight,normally i will start catching them at this time of year but we shall see what effect this fresh water is having…fingers crossed!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

I normally wait until October before getting serious about targeting Rig, although that is prime time for trout and large Snapper so more often its well into November before Rig get much attrition.

St_Paul
    Participant

socky’s been getting out I thin and catching sweet F A.

Did see 2 kahawai caught on spinner over the change of tide @ the Devo on thursday
    had a flick friday but nothin about.

fishforpot
    Participant

I dont start till late October at the earliest …..have heard rumours over the years of Rig in Aug/Sep … too many dogs about during those months for my liking ….will focus on whitebait Oct/Nov …

I recall a huge cow elephant taken off Nape Nape during July about 15 yrs ago …. Dave Botino caught it on a kite …

Will be watching the boards with interest to see if anyone here does manage some early rig etc ….

Miliwolf
    Participant

Saw Kahawai caught at the bar on Saturday. I would probably be leaving my Rig fishing until late October, much prefer spending my time chasing trout, Snapper and spearfishing in early October.

St_Paul
    Participant

Got 3 kahawai at the diversion today, all on spinner

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice to hear they are taking lures again, might have a try one day after work.

Got given a lure which looked a lot like a big whitebait, it was tied onto a small jig-head. Keen to give it a try this season.

shark slayer
    Participant

good to see the kahawai turning up, didn’t get out to try the rig over the week, my car broke down on the way home from town on thursday,only just got it going today.hey fishforpot i always start catching rig late august early september at my special rig spot……no bycatch either apart from the odd skate if you use squid, wich i dont.I am busy till friday so im gonna have a go on saturday night…with all this settled and hot weather weve had last couple of days i like my chances,will let you know how i get on….

Miliwolf
    Participant

Is there anything different or special about your spot which differentiates it from a normal surf beach?

Like is it inside a sheltered bay, or maybe near a river mouth.

shark slayer
    Participant

dont know if i want to give that up…..haha just kidding, you hit the nail on the head milli,it is a sheltered bay.it also has no fishing pressure as you need a boat to get to it wich definitely helps, but the main reason is rig love bays,they move into them early in spring and stay in huge numbers right through till the end of may.In this particular spot it is possible to get them all year round, i got one last year mid july although there arent many in the colder months so normally i dont bother.The other benefit is, because they are living there all the time, they come in to feed every night no matter what conditions are like…….the other cool thing is because its a sheltered bay you can go super light, im gonna bring out my stradic 2500 with light braid…..let the fun begin!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Suspected it would have been a sheltered bay, have heard before that Rig arrived into Bays much earlier then Surf beaches.. Have often thought about testing the information but have not gotten around to it. Know of a couple of bays which are likely candidates, one gets a small swell into it, the other has no ocean swell inside the heads.

Viewing 14 posts - 931 through 944 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.