Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

well I went, but nothing at all. 3 of us and had 4 rods using mussels and/or squid and not even a bite for about 3 hours

fishforpot
    Participant

Rig will be in before the ele’s …..while you might fluke one on squid , Id be using crab …

Drove down to the waimac mouth yesterday arvo , had the pleasure of watching a thresher in action just inside the surf ……pretty amazing sight for sure ….

yellowfin
    Participant

where do I get crab from? I only use mussels and squid purely for the reason that I can head to supermarket and pick them up easily

yellowfin
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

most catch their crabs themselves, Prawns are also an alternative

yellowfin
    Participant

Cooked prawns are good, maybe use Prawns and mussel together with plenty of elastic to keep it on. On the 2nd hook I put squid because then I know if my prawn gets eaten off the squid should still be there. And to add all the ele’s Ive caught have been on squid. ;)

yellowfin
    Participant

ah thanks for the tip, ill pick up some prawns. Now call me a complete idiot but I aint no cook, do I just boil the prawns in a pot for awhile to cook em? lol how do raw prawns compare?

yellowfin
    Participant

Just buy raw or cooked seem to catch rig and eles on both. I definitely wouldn’t go to the trouble of cooking them if you buy raw ones.

Water temps a bit cold for a thresher this early in the season?

fishforpot
    Participant

That’s what I’d have thought , but it was whacking it’s tail prefusely ….was an amazing sight …..there’s a hell of a channel down Spencers now , it was in the channel , then just outside , drifting back and forth ….
    Maybe the earthquake has dropped the entire beach along there a mtr ? I noticed that from half way from the park , right to the mouth , there is no flat ground above hightide mark ….the sea is eroding the sandhills , so maybe it’s deeper there now …

I know the channel changes from week to week with the conditions , but Ive seen it quite like this before

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Zac, Ive been going through some old topics and noticed you like to head down to Timaru, Is the fishing quite good down there and where would you recommend I go and perhaps time of year and bait choice?

yellowfin
    Participant

Like everywhere else fishing is best over the summer months. November – March but best is probably December – February. You can fish off the wharf for various species (mullet, red cod, warehou, carpet sharks, stingrays, moki, salmon, congers, barracouta, terakihi etc). Have heard of trevally and trumpeter as well but never seen it myself and most likely like the terakihi you get there they will be baby ones. Off the breakwater you can get the same species but seems to be more moki on the south side and kahawai which I’ve never caught in the harbour itself for some reason. Never fished for rig or eles around the harbour or breakwaters but you get them off the beaches to the south and north of timaru. For the moki smallish hooks and shellfish or bits of prawn work well. A sabiki type trace with small hooks and baits has caught me just about everything off the wharf (mullet, warehou, terakihi, red cod, salmon, moki, dogfish). Don’t cast out far off the wharf unless you want to get plauged by dogfish and carpet sharks just drop straight down.

Have had a few big hits and runs on my small rods with sabiki traces dropped off the side off the wharf, most likely big salmon or moki, or possibly stingrays, congers or sharks getting hooked up in the trace swimming past.

troutfishernz
    Participant

zac

fishforpot
    Participant

Ele’s will readily take mussels……but so will anything else cruising by …that’s where the problem will lie

Tua tua is good , but like mussels , it gets picked off before the ele can get a look in …..unless its black with ele’s out there

Crab body , without shell or legs , half a body is best if the crab is large …..ele’s love it , only problem is rig hit it too …

Paua is my favourite for ele’s …..the meat , not the guts …..stays on the hook forever and rearly gets taken by other fish ….

yellowfin
    Participant

ah thanks for great reply zac.

I would also like to try get a big shark (sevengill or something) as Ive never caught anything large like that

yellowfin
    Participant

Should get seven gillers off the breakwater and have heard people having success at a few of the beaches between timaru and rangitata. There’s also the beach behind the pareora meatworks that has a big pipe going into the sea where all the run off goes, apparently a lot of big sharks down that way as well. Could probably walk out along the pipe to cast further out but it’s private property and not that safe.

Anyone know if the brighton pier is open for fishing again? I see a few posts back saying people were catching kahawai, is the water safe or are people fishing anyway?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.