Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

have not been for a few weeks now so cant report, wasnt a bad rig season though not too bad on eles either

Miliwolf
    Participant

Still a month or so of Rig fishing left up here 8)

St_Paul
    Participant

went for a snapper fish with Tom last night, managed 3 pannie snapper and 2 kahawai. Started to get some better bites later on but ran out of pillies :oops:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thought it might have gotten better after I left, I got my 10lber the other day just when the tide started to turn.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Forecast for the weekend is looking very promising….

Just need to decide where to go and what to target. Hope everyone gets good weather and hungry fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Surfcast tonight, sea was fairly large, incoming tide with high just after dark. Only caught a Red Cod on Anchovy, after dark used only paddle crab but no further fish. Hopefully the sea would calm down a little.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice calm looking evening so decided to go for a Snapper fish tonight, arrived at my spot in the Mahaua Sounds around 5pm, tide was fairly high so was a interesting walk/wade. Was dead calm with a overcast sky, and the water was cleaner then normal.

I fished the outgoing tide and to begin with the fishing was slow, the only capture being a spottie. As the hours slowly passed I was thinking of giving up then I hard a rapid clicking coming from one of my rods, I rushed into the gloom but my rod was not moving, after checking the untouched bait I realized I been tricked by a cricket.

A while later, around 9pm I heard a louder click, and this time it was from my Rod. By the time I got there the run had finished, and the line still. I started to reel and the fish sprang back to life charging out towards the center of the Sounds. After what seemed like a long fight I pulled in a plump Snapper. Sorry about the crap photo.

<a href="“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I fished until around 10, and by then the tide was low. But no further fish, although something was stripping my squid and anchovy baits in seconds.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Great fish! What size Mili? Looks like an Aussie Snapper with that big fat head on it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am guessing 14lb, but did not weigh. I plan on measuring the squid boat and then using that to estimate his length, then would consult a Snapper length/weight chart.

He is 64cm according to my rough measuring, which is about 11lb. So a bit smaller then my guess, but if anything I might of under measured. He was in good condition, so might have gone 12lb.

He looks much bigger and ruggard then the est 10lber I caught a couple of weeks back, I guess this fish could be quite old and the other one a much younger but faster grown specimen. Or maybe it has just spent to much time smashing its nose into rocks looking for crabs.

baitman
    Participant

nice snap do catch them all year round up there? In the winter we usually head north to find the big ones.

Miliwolf
    Participant

They around all year, but only have a realistic chance of catching them between September and May. October and April probably being the easiest fishing months for them.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Rather disappointing evening, arrive at spot to a nice gentle swell. Quickly realized I have forgotten to bring any bait elastics, and that ruined the entire trip. First cast, and all I caught was a pile of sea lettuce, and that repeated itself every cast. Because I could not tie them onto my hooks I quickly run out of bait and had to head home shortly after 6pm.

Think I might store all of my bait elastic in my glove box from now on, all but guarantee that I have same to use.

edit: fixed two spelling mistakes (used wrong words :???: )

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished Ele point, arrive 5pm, left 9:30pm just before high tide. Fine night, no wind saw many shooting stars. Fishing was slow, a few nibbles before it got dark then nothing until 9:25 when I hooked a underwater bulldozer which took a heap of line, then the line become taunt and I noticed the line had dug itself down beneath other line on the reel…….. fish broke off. Probably a sizable ray. Must take the reel out in the yak and tow the line out behind me so I can re-wind it back onto the reel, would hopefully fix.

Also need to remember to wear thermals and take a down jacket when night fishing at this time of year. Was quite chilly.

elmo22
    Participant

always good to read your posts miliwolf always a good read and a bit of a laugh when you go fishing either wading though cold water and getting wet and cold forgetting things and all the other bits and things that happen when you go fishing and the pictures of all the fish that you catch i dont no were you find the time to get out and do the fishing..i have been very sack this year only getting out a coulpe of time all the other times have been sitting at home with beer in hand thinking i should be out fishing hopefully next year.. am goimg up to blenheim on wednesday for a week and might take my fishing rod for a trip and if have time might go for a fish lol..

fishforpot
    Participant

Took a newer member over the tip of Banks Peninsula last Saturday , between us we caught close to 30 blue cod .. we took about 18 … dropped a feed to the cocky , and another to the cocky who gives us access thru his land at Bayleys Beach ….and a feed each …..well one of us took 3 feeds , but I wont point fingers lol …

Today he returned the favour and took me up to Kaikoura , to a spot I fish along the beach north of there ….. Id be guessing the final tally , but about 24 doggies , 8 carpet sharks …as well as 5 kahawai and 4 gurnard …. 1 just after lunch interestingly ….

Seems the further out you got a fish bait , the more chance of a carrot …..and steer clear of bonito unless you like dogfish lol …. pillys seemed to be better than anything…

This time of year seemed to fish well for carrots , less kahawai maybe ?

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.