Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    shark slayer
    Participant

yea like you say mili skate are good eating but i don’t bother very often because they are hard to skin and rip your hands up.I assume you got your cod at the railway beach ginga?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Try wearing dish washing gloves when skinning. They offer excellent grip they still protecting the hand. Makes it easier but they are still a bugger to skin.

yellowfin
    Participant

Um yes some off them,

I_TRY
    Participant

Hey, Anyone know if there’s anything getting caught out birdlings flat ways? Keen to head out for a fish but not sure where to go this time of year..Any suggestions close to Christchurch? Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

So went back to kaikoura, The NE wind did not help making railway station Very weedy, Did manage a few more cod and a few dogfish along with a small school shark again, got a mullet and spottie at the wharf and some Giant marine worm thing that was swimming onthe surface so i hooks it too see what it was, Only too see a few more later on, Fished this morning and only got weed and a few dogs so came home, and decided to go to amberley to catch up with another member Donald (duckman) where we only caught doggys but with the westerly wind it wasnt soo bad, i got 12 or 13 before i decided i was hungry and now im here

elmo22
    Participant

well done fire ginda

shark slayer
    Participant

hey i try,i got a few red cod at birdlings/aerials a while ago,other than that it’s pretty much doggys and skate.if you try at birdlings i would go to bayleys beach were its sandy and fish the afternoon/evening for red cod.I went up to kaikoura aswell thurs night,fri,came home sat.First cast upon arriving and bam!straight into a red,got a few more and went to bed as it was to cold…super cold even the sand was frozen like a rock by 8pm,was pretty rough sleeping in the tent,the bloody dog kept kicking me off the blow up mattress and stealing the blankets cos he was cold haha.Friday wasnt the best,got a couple reds in the morning then it went dead so i went to the kowai river mouth for a look and had lunch and a couple of beer’s in the sun while i watched a couple of longliners pull in there set….25 hooks 4 doggys haha they didnt look to impressed either.Then they took the doggys off the hook and just dumped them on the beach,that sort of ignorant shit winds me up,i was gonna educate them but couldnt be bothered with conflict ruining my trip so i grabbed the doggys myself and released them..they swam away ok.The next day i fished a new spot and got 5 reds a few doggys and four skate all in about an hour and a half,the skates were hard to land because of the swell{released them all].Decided i had caught enough so headed home,caught 11 keepers all up..got about 16 but let a few go because they had been on the 40 hour famine haha.Heres some pics..“> ..rest of them…“>..shoulda let this one go it had a twisted bottom half,must of had an injury or something it was bizzare looking…“>..they were all nice size 60cm+,biggest was 68cm.

yellowfin
    Participant

were you with a mate? and in a grey um prado or something?

shark slayer
    Participant

na wasnt me,i took the dog up with me and was in a nissan primera.didnt see anyone else fishing the whole time i was there except the longliners at kowai..

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok thought it may have been you that come and had a yarn to me at the wharf, I fished for a wee while at railway station but the weed was too annoying so did not stay a hell of along time

shark slayer
    Participant

yea that northeaster made conditions shit.do you still get moki off the wharf in winter?

yellowfin
    Participant

lol my lips are sealed on that one!!!! lol but seriously not really, they pretty few and far between

Miliwolf
    Participant

Even off the previous wharf which was typically more productive, Moki fishing was hard over winter.

yellowfin
    Participant

agree

shark slayer
    Participant

thought as much,was gonna go for a moki hunt in the bay tonight but think i’ll leave the moki fishing till november now.Theres a documentary on tv3 i think tonight at 9.30 on the poor management of our fisheries and the government allowing foreign trawlers to rape our fish stocks,exlusive fishing zone my ass…any how should be good to watch.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.