Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

All the rivers in flood up here, so decided to go for a walk along the beach. There is a heap of driftwood. Still a couple of months before I start surf casting again :)

<a href="“>
    P8040037 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

The water should be brown not blue, maybe the white balance was… might fix it later.
    <a href="“>
    P8040033 by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

Okay, I took this one tonight at the Salt Marsh. Not from the beach.
    <a href="“>
    Salt marsh at sunset by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

yellowfin
    Participant

Called in at the domain in south bay for lunch and a diver was emptying his catch bag on the ground.There were a few good sized moki and a couple of butters and some wrasse.One 6″ + paua and a nice cray.So I guess the moki are there still, but maybe in deeper water.The diver had walked back from Sharks Tooth by the look of it.

shark slayer
    Participant

Went for a surf cast the other night,got a huge conger not long after my first cast,best fight i have ever had with a conger it even jumped out of the water two or three times.Took a photo but you can hardly see it as my headlamp was nearly dead so i couldn’t light it up very well and my phone has no flash…really need to get a digital cam.Here’s it is anyway <a href="“> it was well over 6 foot long and probably 30 lb or more.Then i got a big skate <a href="“> .Was to hard to fish after that, the crabs were out in force wich is weird for that spot,maybe all that fresh water running out brung them in,bait’s were lasting seconds,caught a few of them aswell <a href="“>.was a nice night out though,with the full moon and calm water.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did you try using the paddle crabs for bait? Maybe a few Rig still feeding in close.

shark slayer
    Participant

i thought about it but didn’t have any bait elastic with me, the crab is now waiting in the freezer for when the rig fishing get’s good again,wich for me is in about 3 weeks.Can’t wait,bring on spring…..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, the daylight is getting longer and these less chill to the air. Better fishing is only a few weeks away.

shark slayer
    Participant

Had a couple of nice catches of flounders last couple of days, fished two days in a row to stock up as the seasons nearly over.Nice flounder aswell all around this size “>.Am getting a shimano stradic 2500 on thursday for light tackle rig fishing, going to spool it with 5lb braid, but also im going to put in some time to learn how to get flounder on a rod and reel so i dont have to net anymore[hate those things].i am going to try soft plastics(crab, shrimp, polychaette worm imitations)first and just slowly drift them along the bottom and cast and slow bottom retreive them aswell.if that dosn’t work i will try baiting for them, but i reckon drifting soft plastics should be successful.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice flounder.
    Before all these floods I saw a guy catch 22 flounder at the Opihi Lagoon using a small salmon spoon and dragging it across the bottom, got one nearly every cast and they weren’t foul hooked ether they had actually Lashed out at the spoon.

burkefish
    Participant

a small z spinner works well (7gm) added bonus is that you can pick up sea trout and other species as well.

shark slayer
    Participant

22….damn!!! i would be happy with 2 or 3 each time.Thanks for the info guys, i shall give it a go….

Miliwolf
    Participant

I braved the cold of winter, actually the weather feels spring like. Quite warm actually, been weeks since the last frost.

So decided a August Snapper fish was in order, In the end I decided to a fish my usual spot. I was almost to warm dressed up in my neoprene waders and the fish were feeding the moment I arrived. Sadly, the quality of the fish had quite a bit to be desired. The highlight was a feisty Barracouta, the first I have caught in the inner sounds. Also landed quite a few photos. Started fishing shortly after 4pm.

Just on dark, I retreated to the beach and went looking for flounders. Spotted a small one then a big one which spooked, a while later discovered another good size flounder which I speared, annoyingly It wiggled free which teaches me for not finding my single prong spear. Saw quite a few mullet in the shallows. Must patch the holes in my waders.

In all was a nice winters fishing trip. Bring on Spring and the return of the Snapper.

<a href="“>
    Orange Sounds and Mussels by Thomas J. Walsh, on Flickr

St_Paul
    Participant

NIce, will have to get out soon. Just couldn’t get away yesterday evening

Went for a quick flick off the breakwater @ Waikawa marina.
    Couple of asians egi jigging for squid

yellowfin
    Participant

Are the squid around all year up there?

Miliwolf
    Participant

In my experience they are almost never around. Just a few weeks over summer this year, and much to my annoyance Paul caught the two which were lurking around the Marina the night I was there.

Although a report I read from a boatie said there was lots around in July.

baitman
    Participant

People I have talk to about squid in nthland
    Say they are in the harbours in the winter. That sound right to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.