Latest catches Spring – 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 944 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Seen an Orca at Taumutu once a couple years back, neat sight.

fishforpot
    Participant

Was it just after daybreak ? We had one cruise past at Baileys …..maybe a saturday morning ? heading nor-east and was close enough to spit at .

I remember one afternoon maybe 18yrs ago at Baileys when there was literally 10’s of thousands of basking sharks ….as far as the eye could see in all directions ….was an incredible sight

yellowfin
    Participant

Now your lucky to see one basking shark anywhere

St_Paul
    Participant

all the basking sharks were killed off for their livers….

on the plus side apparently huge schools of Kahawai down the kaikoura coast over the past week.

HIPP
    Participant

Hi guys, good to see you all busting at the seems, and to see you fit and well Birdlings:)Quad looks good,did you sell the kawasaki in the end?
    No fishing to report(been hunting thou),but like you lot am Im keen for the coming Eles. Got a mate heading to Paihia bay of Islands with his 12 and 13ish year old lads for some land based fishing,any tips where to go would be greatly apreciated, cheers fellas,Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

yes st_paul i hear about the kahawai also will be a few weeks before im next up

rayhunter
    Participant

its good to here the ky are making a come back

yellowfin
    Participant

yea hope to get a few kahawai this season for bait and curry, tad different to using chicken but still not bad, only time i have found kahawai not bad

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

Yup Hipp sold the Kawa..looking forward to the kahawai myself..who knows what the season will bring..I wonder who will catch the first elly this season??

yellowfin
    Participant

I wonder if eles will take a peanut bait………

yellowfin
    Participant

anyone know the deal with water around christchurch after earthquakes etc? I assume Sumner/Taylors Mistake would be no good due to sewer water etc but birdlings flat etc would be fine? Im too keen to get out there and go fishing, i might even head out somewhere tommorow (weather permitting)

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

heres what it was like on friday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztzhtDvMEM sea lumpy here today..might be calm tomorrow google- chch weather to find safe quality of water in chch invirons-they include a map..(its all on the net)- :grin:

fishforpot
    Participant

Taylors is ok to eat fish I think …..went over there Friday ..

The walk down is a tad hairy , the last of the soiled part of the walk has actually split in 2 ….and all sorts of erosion

The council has closed the walking track , but you just climb over it , DO NOT go there Mon-Mon coming ….they are pushing bolders down the hill into the sea …..all the batches along the right of the bay and the cliff are red stickered …..and they say they will erect nets to protect them …..I’m picturing some yaahooing going on when they smash those batches into the sea from the hilltop …been trying to get rid of them for years ..

yellowfin
    Participant

how does birdlings flat look like for a fish later today? What’s it like for low tide (incoming tide), i see high is around 7.30pmish but i was wanting to head out there maybe 3. I was looking at swellmap and it said waves etc around 1.4m or so

fishforpot
    Participant

Should be fishable , low tide is around 2pm or just before .. , but Ive found that while its still calming down after being rough it’ll be dogfish city , especially

A mate just called in , he’s been on the pier this morning and saw 5 large kahawai caught …..this along with whitebait showing up in the Kaiapoi tells me the Waimac mouth could be a go this afternoon ….. so that’s where I’m heading …
    Might have a drag for whitebait while my mate watches the rods chasing kahawai and flounders

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 944 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.